General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

chargin problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation chargin problems

i was hopin this was a sticky..but its not..tho it seems kinda common...ive talked to a few guys with the same problem.

altenator charges fine in park/neutral.

put it in drive it drops to 10..but holds it there..then when you drive it picks back up to 13.4 ish

anybody got any clue to fix this?

they guy i bought it from seems to have put a new battery in it.

lemme know some answers so i can help out a few others around my house.

thanks guys
Old 11-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Teching In

btw all my mods are listed in the signature..except for the guy i bought it from installed an underdrive pulley..and as i said..it runs out great..ive been in some cars with low volts and they ran crappy..i cant tell a difference in this car at idle or WOT or in between..except for slightly dimmer gauges..and sometims my map lights will stay on but have a slight flicker(my cammed 2nd gen does this to...so i dont think its a huge issue..but my 2nd gen also holds 14 volts =p)
Old 11-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you check the belt?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Teching In

yeah belts tighter then a ticks ***...i talked to a gm factory certified tech and ase in gm and ford..he said it sounds like its just the underdrive pulley since its not dieing or nothing and it should be fine..he said when he had his 347 stroker in his 5.0 coupe he had underdrive pulleys and it done the same thing.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 99LSxSS
yeah belts tighter then a ticks ***...i talked to a gm factory certified tech and ase in gm and ford..he said it sounds like its just the underdrive pulley since its not dieing or nothing and it should be fine..he said when he had his 347 stroker in his 5.0 coupe he had underdrive pulleys and it done the same thing.
Has anyone checked the belt by looking at the tensioner? There are two tick marks, one on the block side, and one on the pulley side. If they have passed each other, the belt is too long or stretched out. That is the real measure of how you are doing. Just pulling on the belt won't really tell you how much tension is on it. (If your pulley is smaller than stock, you may need a shorter belt to get the proper tension.)
Old 11-16-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..except for the guy i bought it from installed an underdrive pulley.
i'm guessing you have an auto tranmission,
with an underdrive pulley all your accessories are spinning at a slower speed... including the alternator. At idle in neutral the rpms are high enough that the alternator can output > 12 volts, but when you put it in drive the rpms drop and that plus the underdrive pulley is causing the alternator to not spin fast enough hence the less than 12v output.
I'll bet that in neutral when it seems to be charging fine, if you turn on your high beams and heater/ac fan on full blast and have your stereo going you'd see < 12v.

the solution is to either get rid of the underdrive pulley, or change the pulley on the alternator to a small one so it'll spin faster at idle, or raise your in-gear idle, or just not let the engine operate at such a low rpm for any duration- shift into neutral and idle up.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the ASP Overdrive Alternator Pulley

It's available many places including texas speed & performance.

I'm sure you'll need a slightly different belt but I could be wrong about that.