General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HIDs & Wiper Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy HIDs & Wiper Issue?

This is the second camaro i have owned that has a wiper problem when i installed my HIDs in my headlights, i get a weird humming noise coming from the speedometer area and my wipers keep jumping around with the switch on off, this only happens when my headlights are on, headlights work great, but something doesnt sound right what can this be??? how are they related?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HIDs use high voltages, this can interfere with other electric circuits. Your car was not built with hids so its not built with that in mind. You can try isolating the hid circuits and move the ballasts away from any electrical circuits. Could also use some alum foil to shield the ballasts.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by O2Form
The HIDs use high voltages, this can interfere with other electric circuits. Your car was not built with hids so its not built with that in mind. You can try isolating the hid circuits and move the ballasts away from any electrical circuits. Could also use some alum foil to shield the ballasts.
the hids are mounted by the headlights under the hood, i dont know why the noise is coming from the speedometer area?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Probably crappy ballasts putting noise in the car's electrical line. You risk stuff like that when you buy junk like aftermarket HID kits.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Probably crappy ballasts putting noise in the car's electrical line. You risk stuff like that when you buy junk like aftermarket HID kits.
wheres a good place to buy them from?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I ordered Matsushita ballasts from a place called the Retrofit Source. You can try Ebay but you need to get a name brand like Matsushita, Denso, etc.

But here's the thing: Almost all aftermarket HID kits cut the connectors on the ballast and use lower quality connectors that aren't rated for the application. You'd need to get wiring adapters, too, or splice it yourself.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Well, I ordered Matsushita ballasts from a place called the Retrofit Source. You can try Ebay but you need to get a name brand like Matsushita, Denso, etc.

But here's the thing: Almost all aftermarket HID kits cut the connectors on the ballast and use lower quality connectors that aren't rated for the application. You'd need to get wiring adapters, too, or splice it yourself.
really, i cant believe u gotta go through all of this for these HIDS, but i will google search those brands
Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

I had an issue like this on my old camaro. Only after I added high beams also. Low beams only wasnt an issue. I had made a post about it and someone pm'd me a link with some in line relays that he said solved his problem. Might check into some relays in the system. I only put low beams in my new car to avoid the problem.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Never heard of this issue.

I've got Xentec slim digital ballast kit in my car. The only time there is any noise is when I first kick them on, I can hear a little whine in the speakers, then it goes away.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem in my trans am, my wipers would randomly jump up, my radio was fuzzy, so i just put them on a relay and since then 2 years later no problems
Old 11-28-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by witry
i had the same problem in my trans am, my wipers would randomly jump up, my radio was fuzzy, so i just put them on a relay and since then 2 years later no problems
thats what mine is doing? how did u go about doing that?