General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

stoped running and wont start????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stoped running and wont start????

my mechanic told me today..you car just shut off idling and wont start back up. well i went down to check it out, theres power everywhere exept to what the pcm powers/tuns on. that car turns over gauges light up but nothing moves and the odometer isnt reading anything. So i checked fuel psi, nothing checked fuses there all fine. I even put the hyper tech on it to see if i can read the pcm, that shuts off when it tells you to put the key on.
now things im thinking it might be. pcm got fried do to my mechanic welding the exhaust, i just replaced the motor but left all the factory wiring where it was and it has ran fine sence then...been in storage till now for exhaust and paint work. maybe the crank censor failed, someone told me that might cause it. I even checked the ignition switch..pain in the *** that was.
Anyone have ideas??, my friend has an extra pcm out of a 99 car im going to try mines a 98 it should start it anyways.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Vats

Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

whats that
Old 11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Vehicle Anti Theft System it can shut off your car if it thinks its being stolen. your VATS is located underneath the plastic panel that houses your spare tire. its a little black box that kinda looks like a cell phone charger. try and disable it and then start car. i think u can disable by pulling a wire or whatever. can always look up how to disable in owners manual
Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

ooh ok.. i'll check that tomorrow. i wonder why it would just stop working while its running
Old 11-23-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

your chip in the key could have gone bad or got all gunked up. happened to my buddy, he got a new key and started right up
Old 11-23-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
your chip in the key could have gone bad or got all gunked up. happened to my buddy, he got a new key and started right up
we thought that too but the car turns over and powers the accessory, if the key was bad it shouldnt let the car turn over
Old 11-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jason02Z
we thought that too but the car turns over and powers the accessory, if the key was bad it shouldnt let the car turn over
Well, if the engine is turning over its either fuel, air or spark.

Time to start weeding things out. It's easy, just takes time.

Fuel pressure guage at the rail weeds out a bad fuel pump.
Check the fuel pump fuse under the hood too. Could be that simple.

To lose spark to all 8 cylinders, almost unheard of.

Air...its always there enough to start, unless someone jammed a rag into your throttle body.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cure07
vehicle anti theft system it can shut off your car if it thinks its being stolen. Your vats is located underneath the plastic panel that houses your spare tire. Its a little black box that kinda looks like a cell phone charger. Try and disable it and then start car. I think u can disable by pulling a wire or whatever. Can always look up how to disable in owners manual
+1 ....