General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil leak from cam sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak from cam sensor?

I replaced the cam sensor on my 2001 WS6 and have a oil leak. I am not sure if that is where it is leaking or not. I pulled the starter out and degreased the inside of the bellhousing then put the starter back in and started the car. I waited until it started leaking again. I pulled the starter back out and could see the oil running down the top of the rear plate that holds the rear main seal. It is not getting on the flex plate or converter at all. I figured it was the rear plate leaking so I pulled the automatic out and the oil is puddling on top of the plate right behind the cam sensor so I am thinking the new cam sensor o ring didn't seal. I wouldn't think you would put any sealer on the cam sensor o ring. Is that a known place to leak? Any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

You don't put any kind of sealant on an oring, but you do give them a light coat of oil before installation. You may have cut it when you put the new sensor in.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's probably what happened. especially if it started right after you put the new one in. if the ring on your new sensor is pinched, you might be able to use the o ring from your old sensor and put it on the new one. just put some oil on it to help it slide in without pinching it.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dutinsss
you might be able to use the o ring from your old sensor and put it on the new one. just put some oil on it to help it slide in without pinching it.
Reuse a 5 cent oring? Not a smart thing to do. Especially not if it's been in service for awhile.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Reuse a 5 cent oring? Not a smart thing to do. Especially not if it's been in service for awhile.
if he can find an exact fit, then definately get a new one. shouldn't be too hard to do. i was thinking along the lines of don't buy a new sensor for that o-ring for some reason.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Teching In

I replaced the rear cover gasket and the rear main seal and the leak is gone.

Quick Reply: Oil leak from cam sensor?