General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overheat - think my radiator froze ugh! help!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheat - think my radiator froze ugh! help!

This morning I woke up and started driving my car after a brief warm up (5 minutes) its about 18 degrees here. I first noticed that my car wasn't blowing heat at all. Then I looked at my temp guage and was quickly approaching the 260 degree mark. I reached my destination about 20 seconds after my car just hit the 260 degree mark. Noticed the hood was steaming, and water was spewing out of the radiator cap. UGH. Bought the car this summer it originated in Texas and didn't even think to check the coolant. It didn't run rough or anything, any ideas what could have possibly happened if anything? Just frozen thermostat? If the water was coming out do you think it was maybe just slushy in there? It's too hot to touch right now. Opinions would be helpful thanks!

**Also, it's only going to get to 28 degrees today but I have a black car, think it will heat enough to get home? Any ideas on what to do?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black2001ws6
**Also, it's only going to get to 28 degrees today but I have a black car, think it will heat enough to get home? Any ideas on what to do?
Unlikely. Get it somewhere that the cooling system can be serviced if you have it at work.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Teching In

but if I drive it, it will overheat, only option is towing or what?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if coolant blew out the radiator cap then the coolant in the radiator didn't freeze,
and 18F is not that cold for coolant, you would have to really f up the mixture or use straight water for that to happen.
it's most likely a stuck thermostat,
if you need to drive the car and can't wait what you can do is pull the stat housing and pull the thermostat out, then reinstall the housing with no stat. the car won't warm up but at least it won't overheat and you can get to wherever you need to,
then just by a whole new stat from wherever and install it, top off the radiator and go from there.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd just leave it there and have someone pick you up so that you can go back and do the work, or get it towed wherever you can get the work done. From experience, especially if your dd, you don't want to mess it up more than it is

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheat - think my radiator froze ugh! help!