General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

93 Z28 Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Z28 Help

Good Morning all,

I'm about to pick up a 93 Z28 6M tomorrow morning, I'm very excited, it's my first F-body and a car I've lusted after a long time! It's got just over 100k on the odometer and the current owner has not had it for it's entire life and is unsure on it's previous owner or treatment.

Let's first assume the car runs great, according to current owner anyway. I've read on here numerous posts on the use of Seafoam, could I get a general consenus on if I should give the car the entire treatment of spray in the intake and the other stuff in the gas tank and oil or leave it alone? Would I be asking for trouble trying to clean out an engine that runs like it is?

Also if it was yours what would you jump right into replacing? I was figuring on plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, engine oil and filter change, anything else other than those basics I should start with? Current owner says the opti was replaced about a year ago, anything I can do with that to prevent a premature failure of that, Ive read something about insulating one of the plugs that go into it?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Do oil change/fuel filter. I wouldn't do anything else unless there is demonstrated need.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he replaced it with a quality Opti and the work was done right it should last no problem. I'd do everything on your list plus a gear oil change and cooling system drain and fill. If the transmission fluid is still red and theres not a buncha metal on the dipstick you can do a trans filter change. Then you would establish your own maintenance records and go off that. Cleaning the throttle body never hurts either, its easy to remove and clean.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would pull a few of the plugs to check their condition, no sense in replacing them if they are working fine. If the plug wires look old, replace them. I would just go ahead and replace the fuel filter. The air filter you should be able to do a visual check and see if that needs to be replaced. Definitely do the oil and filter change.

Don't want premature wear on the opti? Don't get any water on it.

If you feel like seafoaming it go for it, follow the guide in this section.

Congrats on the new buy.