General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Airbag Light

Old 12-12-2009, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Light

I have the airbag light on in my 93Z. I know why it's on, the wire coming from the steering column to the bag was cut, who knows why, a stupid original owner I blame. It was cut rather than just disconnected, moron!

Anyway I have, if you can picture this in order from the airbag itself: Airbag, about 6 inches of yellow wire and a plug. From there the wire was cutand i just have yellow wire coming from the column. I don't know where the plug is on the steering column side, nor where to get one without having to buy a whole column harness from the dealer.

My question is can I simply cut the plug off the air bag end of the wire and go buy any old weather proof removable connector? Seems like the plug is just there so if the bag ever deployed a new one could be put in and just plugged into the system right?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you want your airbag to be reliable and safe, you should take it to a dealer or replace the airbag electronics module in the steering column. (It will come with a new plug.) GM has special procedures/tools for fixing airbag wires.

Search this Thread