General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 camaro wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 camaro wont crank

the car was running fine, then i started having trouble starting it, spuraticly the security light would come on and nothing would happen when i turned the key. i checked key, it was fine so i decided to change the ignition switch. i went to autozone and the switch they had for a 98 didnt have the security feature so they gave me one listed for a 99, i changed the switch, had the new key made now the security light is off but car still wont crank, i had the ignition and starter relays checked and they were good, replaced the starter and still nothing... any idea???
Old 12-26-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wires in the security system get pinched quite often around the area where the steering column tilts.... look there first.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:51 AM

i replaced the ignition switch, wich comes with new wires and the security light shut off but still no start
Old 12-27-2009, 03:01 AM
...with cheese.

Is the car coding anything?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:35 AM

Not sure, I don't own a code reader, the check engine light is on but I that's normal when the key is on and the engine isn't running right? I've never had his problem until I changed the ignition switch, everything seems to be working fine, I can hear my fuel pump prime and when I turn the key to start the headlights go off and I can hear clicking under the hood but nothing from the starter... I have bridged the starter and the car will run that way but not by turning the key
Old 12-27-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camarobob22
Not sure, I don't own a code reader, the check engine light is on but I that's normal when the key is on and the engine isn't running right? I've never had his problem until I changed the ignition switch, everything seems to be working fine, I can hear my fuel pump prime and when I turn the key to start the headlights go off and I can hear clicking under the hood but nothing from the starter... I have bridged the starter and the car will run that way but not by turning the key

How manby volts in the battery? Is it fully charged?? Starter could be bad
Old 12-27-2009, 03:36 PM

I just replaced the starter, the battery is not dead because I can start the car by bridging the two wires on the starter
Old 12-27-2009, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

i had this problem on a car before and it was the starter relay went out wile i was at a red light.

Quick Reply: 98 camaro wont crank