General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! My wheels are all locked up and im stuck! Think its abs? Master cylinder? Etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My wheels are all locked up and im stuck! Think its abs? Master cylinder? Etc.?

So I was driving home from work yesterday in my second vehicle, a 2004 Chevy Avalanche (2WD), which all it has done is new rims and bigger tires and a leveling kit. I've seen people on this forum occasionally find advice on their other cars and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this situation we have. I was coming to a stop at a light and heard my tires screeching as if I had slammed on my brakes...then the entire rest of the way home the car was making horrible cracking/clicking noises and was rough at the wheels. When I got home, the truck locked up COMPLETELY! All the wheels are locked and it will not roll, not even in neutral or anything. The e-brake doesnt show its on, the ABS light is not on. What does this sound like to you?

Here's the best part, I couldn't even have it towed! I had a towe truck at my house for over an hour trying every different way possible to get it on a flat bed and it was impossible. We thought just the rear end broke or the rear was locked up and soem gears got chewed thats why we decided to have it towed, but then when the guy tried to lift the back end of the truck to roll it backwards using the front wheels, we realized the front wheels didnt roll either! ALL 4 WHEELS ARE LOCKED! So what are we suppose to do?

A mechanic friend of mine said to bleed all the brake lines at each individual wheel and disconnect the ABS module. Which we disconnected the ABS module and all that did was make the ABS light come on, but the truck is still stuck. We haven't tried bleeding it yet...

Another friend said to disconnect the ABS lines that go directly into the Master Cylinder. Haven't tried that yet. I want everyones inputs, have you ever had all your wheels lock up on you like that before? We are lucky it didnt lock up on us when we were on our way to Orlando the other day! That could have been dangerous!
Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take each tire off and bleed them at the caliper. If that releases each caliper then you know you have a clog up near the master cylinder thats not letting brake fluid back through the lines after you take your foot off the pedal.

I had that happen once to one caliper in a 1986 Grand Prix....it was clogged with crud in that one brake line. When I let off the pedal one time, while rolling through my school parking lot, the caliper did not retract and it kept squeezing the front disc. Pulled instantly to the right the second I came off the brake pedal and almost hit a car. Just had to flush the system and refill it with new fluid.

Quick Reply: Help! My wheels are all locked up and im stuck! Think its abs? Master cylinder? Etc.?