General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Which battery is best for my specific needs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Which battery is best for my specific needs?

Hey guys I used the search function and read a ton on batteries but still couldn't decide what I needed for my specific needs. My 2000 TA is no longer a DD. I cruise the car once or twice a week in the spring-fall months, but when winter hits she becomes a once a week or usually every 2 weeks ride. This is in Philly where temps hit in the 20s and 30s, and the car is in a garage where it gets quite cold. I currently have an Energizer battery on there I forget how old it is, and it died last winter. After that I purchased a Deltran tender plus trickle charger and had no issues. 2 weeks ago the hatch accidentally stayed popped open and the dome light killed the battery, I recharged it on the charger and it wouldn't start, jumped it and it drove after an hour of operating, I turned it off and it wouldn't restart so I am guessing the battery is done! I still plan on using the tender charger on whatever new battery I select just not sure what to buy. Again the car will sit for a week or 2 at a time in the garage in cold sub freezing temps on the charger. I have read solid reviews on the newer designed 78-7yr AC Delco professional series battery, and the reviews on the red top seem to be hit or miss. My mods are in sig, car is not stock, no aftermarket stereo but I do have an aftermarket UD pulley.
All suggestions and opinions are welcome and thx in advance.

Last edited by hurley711; 01-01-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do the red top...Optima's are crap. Do the Delco.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any thoughts on using a lightweight racing style battery, or is that not a good idea with the car sitting in the cold so often. Just thinking if I have to change it why not look into some weight savings while I am doing it!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just put the 78 AC Delco in mine about a week ago. Its awesome. The needle on my guage doesn't flinch with everything turned on and my 1,000 watt stereo and 12" woofer hitting, headlights, ac fan, fog lights....just doesn't matter.

For $109 and 15 pounds lighter than the Die Hard Platinum ($190.00)....I really don't see how a better battery can be chosen.

50 month 100% FREE replacement....no brainer.

And yes, they increased the CCA to 800 and they also put caps on top so you can check the water level every few months if you want to.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
I just put the 78 AC Delco in mine about a week ago. Its awesome. The needle on my guage doesn't flinch with everything turned on and my 1,000 watt stereo and 12" woofer hitting, headlights, ac fan, fog lights....just doesn't matter.

For $109 and 15 pounds lighter than the Die Hard Platinum ($190.00)....I really don't see how a better battery can be chosen.

50 month 100% FREE replacement....no brainer.

And yes, they increased the CCA to 800 and they also put caps on top so you can check the water level every few months if you want to.
where did you buy it? I called local place Advanced and they didn't carry it, didn't get a chance to call anywhere else yet.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Don't do the red top...Optima's are crap. Do the Delco.

why are they crap? they cutting into dealer profits of reselling delco's?

any side-terminal battery is gonna suck in the long run because that's where it's going to fail eventually by leaking electrolyte out the seals around those terminals since the level is above those terminals.
happened to my oem delco over the winter on my bench while on float charge, battery lasted 5 or 6 years and was great until it leaked.

the optima redtop does not have side terminals that sit below the electrolyte level, so it'll never leak like that and for that reason I think it is better.
I don't care for the price of the red-top, i think that is crap.

If you have a deltran and use it then that levels the playing field among any battery you could buy, they will all meet your needs. From there i would just narrow it down via price, warranty and how reputable the warranty is. If you get a cheapo battery with a 5yr warranty and it leaks, then just return it.

and you said you left the hatch open and dome light stayed on, it should only stay on for 20 min. before the pcm kills all power to the accessories (retained accessory power). you should not have gotten a dead battery from that.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hurley711
where did you buy it? I called local place Advanced and they didn't carry it, didn't get a chance to call anywhere else yet.
I got it at Bennett Auto Supply. I brought my old one in and got $10.00 for the core charge. If I didn;t have it it would have been $119.00. Don't know if they except any battery for a core. A guy told me they will take any battery, they just want the old ones to melt down the lead...don't know if its true.

Check their website, sometimes they have $10.00 off coupons for purchases over $100.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
why are they crap? they cutting into dealer profits of reselling delco's?

any side-terminal battery is gonna suck in the long run because that's where it's going to fail eventually by leaking electrolyte out the seals around those terminals since the level is above those terminals.
happened to my oem delco over the winter on my bench while on float charge, battery lasted 5 or 6 years and was great until it leaked.

the optima redtop does not have side terminals that sit below the electrolyte level, so it'll never leak like that and for that reason I think it is better.
I don't care for the price of the red-top, i think that is crap.

If you have a deltran and use it then that levels the playing field among any battery you could buy, they will all meet your needs. From there i would just narrow it down via price, warranty and how reputable the warranty is. If you get a cheapo battery with a 5yr warranty and it leaks, then just return it.

and you said you left the hatch open and dome light stayed on, it should only stay on for 20 min. before the pcm kills all power to the accessories (retained accessory power). you should not have gotten a dead battery from that.
Well the battery is older for sure. The battery is always on the tender until I drive it. I last drove it 3 weeks ago, and I accidentally left the hatch opened. I thought I slammed it shut but didn't all of the way. That was 3 weeks ago, now when I came out to start it I noticed the lights on under the rear view mirror. Car wouldn't start, and tender was red(charging) I let it charge for 2 days and it was green today which indicates fully charged. Went to start and it just clicked multiple times. Jumped it and it started let it run for over an hour and then it wouldnt restart. Does that def mean the battery is fried? This same battery also died last yr in the cold, that was before I started to use a tender, after I put the tender on last yr no issues til now.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the lead is recycled, mostly because it's hazardous material so there's a monetary incentive to turn in old batteries, or penalty if you don't turn one in, keeps people from just dropping the thing in their garbage can.

... yeah if the battery is older and it's sat dead before, then it's most likely poofed. don't waste your time with it, just get a new one.

also know, wherever you buy a "new" battery to check the date manufactured and date shipped codes on the battery. if you're buying a battery that doesn't have either or those, or the seller looks at you like your crazy for asking then tell them to GFT. You want to get a new battery that's as new as possible to the date manufactured code, otherwise it's been sitting and self-discharging, and it is not uncommon to get a new battery that's 6-months old and less than 75% charge. If you have a digital volt meter take it with you and check batteries on the shelf, regular lead acid car batteries at 100% charge will be 12.65 volts at 80F ambient temp, and slightly lower if its colder. If you're reading 12.45v or less then the battery is severely discharged and i wouldn't choose it.
And any battery you get most likely will not be at 100% state of charge, and you should put it on a good float charger for 8 hours to get it to 100% prior to using it.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Last edited by 1 FMF; 01-01-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:21 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Optima's not "crap" it's just overpriced and totally unecessary. A stock replacement battery, not necessarily a Delco, with the proper group size and CCA rating will do you just fine. Keep that tender charger thing that you have on it and you should be just fine. Just to let you know, any car and its battery that isn't driven regularly may develop more problems much sooner than daily driven cars. Cars need exercise too-the worst thing you can do is let it sit, but with crappy weather I understand.

As for the Optima, well, it's got a pretty red top?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run AC Delco professionals in all of my cars. Never had a problem. My brother ran an Optima red top in his 87 IROC and had nothing but problems.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok guys here is the battery I went with: http://extreme.exide.com/battery.aspx

Got it at Nat'l Auto for $99 after core swap, also got a $10 mail in refund. Car started right up. The Energizer lasted 5 1/2 yrs for me, although the last 2 the car has been a garage queen.

Feel free to throw out opinions on the Exide good/bad/ugly, I'll listen to them all!

Quick Reply: Which battery is best for my specific needs?