General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radio cuts off and windows wont work after

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio cuts off and windows wont work after

My buddy has a 99 ss and when your cruisin the radio(stock randomly shuts off which causes the windows not to roll up or down.

(ITS CAMMED WITH USUAL BOLT-ONS)

Any ideas what this could be
Old 01-09-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its probably the BCM. BCM is the body control module that sits inside of the dash just above and behind the glovebox. You can usually just take out the one thats in the car and resolder some places that can develop cracks in the solder over time. Most common place is the "T" shaped solder points. Let me find the thread that goes in to full detail and I'll post it up. You can also buy a brand new BCM from gmpartsdirect.com for around $185 shipped, cheapest place to buy from. I just bought new, but my problem persisted even after I installed the new one. Mine turned out to be the main ground for the BCM which is located just behind the place where you rest your left foot. You take off the panel that runs along the floor between your seat and the door held on by four or five screws. The ground is on a post with a nut on it. With me the nut was loose thus allowing the ground wire to lose connection sometimes. My problem stopped after i tightened down the nut. So check to make sure the nut is tight on your main ground before taking out your old BCM or ordering a new one. However, I think your problem is most likely the BCM solder joints. If you are careful you can fix your BCM and save some money, but if you don't want to take a chance order a new one. My car is my daily driver so I just ordered new. Sucks it was just a loose ground, but my mistake can maybe save other people some money.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 PM
STG
Staging Lane

Body Control Module - The Fix

This thread has the answers and some of the pics might still be up. I had the same problem and fixed it in about an hour with one solder.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's the thread I was going to post a link to. Great info in there. Oh and I know it's your buddies car so just change some words in my first post around so it sounds like it's your buds car and not yours.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^ what they said.