General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vats problem! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vats problem! Help!

I didnt quite know where to put this so i threw it in the newb section. so my car had done this once or twice before but now its doing it often whenever it seems to feel like it. My car will start and run and drive just like its supposed to. But now, i will walk to the car and get in and the light that says security on the cluster will be on and the car will not start. now i used to be able to get around this by disconnecting the batter and reconnecting it. now that doesnt work. The car wont start and ill eventually get pissed off and walk away from it. I'll come back later and the light will be off and the car will start right up. Correct me if im wrong, but that sounds like vats system to me. And before anyone tries this theory, its not my key going bad because the light is on before i even put the key in. Somone pleaseee help me out here. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:09 AM
On The Tree

I'm not sure how to reset the VAT on one of these cars, but my gf has an '01 Malibu that did the same thing. Before I met her she had spent thousands on tows, fuel pumps, ignitions, etc....I found out that GM cars do this all the time and to turn the key to on position for ten minutes. You will see the security light flash and then go off. VAT reset and car starts everytime now.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just do the VATS Bypass

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html
http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

what if its the module that went bad?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by prjctSILVERKNIGHTy2k
what if its the module that went bad?
It's possible but not likely.
This is a from a post I did about a month ago

"When the light is on while the car is running the VATS is in Start Default. Meaning the system sees an error but will start the car. The VATS can at anytime revert back to Pass/Fail (normal mode). In this mode if the system can't read the proper resistence from the Key the Security light will usually flash (while the key is turned) and the car will not start. Most of the time the light will remain on after the key is turned back to the off position, when the light goes out (3-4 min cycle) you can try to restart the car.
You can go to the dealer and have it fixed at a cost of $300+ or do the VATS Bypass for only the cost of some resistors."

The issue you have been dealing with is not unique, many of us have been there including myself. I actually dealt with this for a few years before finally doing the Bypass after the car did several 3-4 min cycles and never started. I came back 2 hrs later took the car home (yes it started) did the bypass and never looked back.
At this point you don't have much to lose by trying the Bypass.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1W66
It's possible but not likely.
This is a from a post I did about a month ago

"When the light is on while the car is running the VATS is in Start Default. Meaning the system sees an error but will start the car. The VATS can at anytime revert back to Pass/Fail (normal mode). In this mode if the system can't read the proper resistence from the Key the Security light will usually flash (while the key is turned) and the car will not start. Most of the time the light will remain on after the key is turned back to the off position, when the light goes out (3-4 min cycle) you can try to restart the car.
You can go to the dealer and have it fixed at a cost of $300+ or do the VATS Bypass for only the cost of some resistors."

The issue you have been dealing with is not unique, many of us have been there including myself. I actually dealt with this for a few years before finally doing the Bypass after the car did several 3-4 min cycles and never started. I came back 2 hrs later took the car home (yes it started) did the bypass and never looked back.
At this point you don't have much to lose by trying the Bypass.
thanks man