General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car squeals from belt area whenever cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car squeals from belt area whenever cold

My 2000 Camaro SS squeals whenever it's cold outside. It sounds like its coming from one of the pulleys on the passenger side. And it's even more noticeable when it rains. Its kind of a pulsating squeal not constant like a power steering pump. My car only has 46k miles on it and has been garaged and rarely seen rain. Possibly an idle pulley? If so, how do I fix it?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

there's a post on here that did a great write up to fix a chirping pulley. i just did it tonight and it worked perfectly. is it more of a chirping or more of a squealing?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah it's a chirping. I couldn't think of the right word to describe it lol. How long did it take you to do this? and Is this normal on a car with only 46k miles?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by caseypryan
Yeah it's a chirping. I couldn't think of the right word to describe it lol. How long did it take you to do this? and Is this normal on a car with only 46k miles?
not long at all. just took me a while cuz i took breaks and had to take care of some sh*t.

im not really sure when it usually happens but its nothing major at all.

all you do is take your air lid off, take off the belt, spin all the pulleys to find out which one is making the noise, take off the pulley (easy for me because it was the tensioner pulley and its easy to get to), then you put grease in it under the seal around all the bearings and work it in there. put it all back together and your set.

do a search to find that write up. it has pics and was really helpful

Quick Reply: Car squeals from belt area whenever cold