General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

GTO Vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO Vibration issues

EDIT: This is an 06 GTO m6

I was on my way back from getting a burger with a friend just now, and all of this sudden I started getting a weird vibration on the car and I have no idea what it is.

I was in the parking lot pulling out onto the side street that leads to the main road. I stopped at the stop sign, and when I started going straight ahead I heard like a ting, or a metalic sounding pop from what I think was the rear of the car. I have some things in my truck that bang around from time to time so I didnt think anything of it, nor am i sure it was or wasnt something in the trunk that made the noise.

I get onto the main road and accel up to about 45mph when I start to feel the vibration. I was @ about 2k rpm in 4th i believe and accelerated a little and it got a little worse i think. I put the clutch it and gave it a quick rev up to about 4k rpm and it was fine, and im fairly confident it has nothing to do with the engine.

It seemed like the faster I went, the more it vibrated so my first thought was a tire weight may have fell off or something. I get on the highway and slowly accel and try to listen/feel for any differences. I get up to about 70-75 and it seemed like it was vibrating at a steady rate the faster i went.

I got it home and the first thing i did was check under the car for any visual signs of something wrong like an axle bolt or something like that and didnt see anything. Check the wheels weights and they all seem to be in place. pciked up my dad and drove him around, he thought it felt like a wheel issue too.

Anyway I have no idea what it is...the vibrations arent violent or anything, but they are definitely there and i dont want to drive the car without knowing what is going on.

I don't expect you guys to diagnose anything with the limited amount of information i have for you, but rather looking for some tests i could do, or things to look for. I have no idea where to start and i dont want to take it in to a shop without having an idea of what im dealing with. Any suggestions as to what i can do while driving, or look for under the chassis, or anything that like would be appreciated. Transmission shifts fine. It seems to vibrate more when the drive train is under load rather than just coasting. but yeah like i said im kinda lost here so anything direction would be great. thanks guys.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To eliminate some things:
1) Does it vibrate when the car is parked at a certain rpm?
2) Does it only vibrate while car is in motion at a certain speed?

1= clutch assembly forward (ie clutch, pulley, internal imbalance)
2= transmission back (ie. tranny, u-joint, drive shaft, rear end, wheel imbalance, etc.)
Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a chance to get under the car today for a quick visual inspection, and I saw one of the bolts missing from the drive shaft. One of the bolts that connects the black hockey puck thing to the diff was missing. This would explain the phantom "pop" i heard, and also why it would get worse when the drivetrain was under a load. Hopefully thats all it is.

Quick Reply: GTO Vibration issues