General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02s not ready

Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02s not ready

i replaced my battery prior to getting my car inspected awhile back and was told that my 02s were throwing a not ready code. i had other issues to repair also that are now fixed and im going to try to get it inspected again. i have been told that my 02s are not ready because i have not allowed my computer to cycle through all the checks after i replaced the battery. i have driven the car but it has been limited to 5 miles in any direction since the battery change. i have been told that i probably need to drive it a good 30 to 50 miles to allow everything to reset, does that sound right? also should i go straight to the inspection station while hot or allow it to cool off?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try to drive it more, Is it the 02 heaters not ready or the 02 itself? Any Pending codes?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

its not throwing any other codes the printout just said:
02 sens: not ready
02sens htr: not ready
and since my camaro is a 02' it can only have 1 not ready code and pass.

fyi...the previous owner had the rear 02s tuned out etc...
prior to this inspection i welded some high flow cats into the ory
Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mondols1
i replaced my battery prior to getting my car inspected awhile back and was told that my 02s were throwing a not ready code. i had other issues to repair also that are now fixed and im going to try to get it inspected again. i have been told that my 02s are not ready because i have not allowed my computer to cycle through all the checks after i replaced the battery. i have driven the car but it has been limited to 5 miles in any direction since the battery change. i have been told that i probably need to drive it a good 30 to 50 miles to allow everything to reset, does that sound right? also should i go straight to the inspection station while hot or allow it to cool off?
That sounds right. To set the readiness monitors takes a variety of driving...some when its cold, some when its hot, some it has to be driving X mph for X amount of time, etc. I would say if you could make a couple 50 mile or so highway trips that you would be fine. Once readiness is set it doesn't matter if you take it to the station when it is hot or cold.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the responses!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mondols1
its not throwing any other codes the printout just said:
02 sens: not ready
02sens htr: not ready
and since my camaro is a 02' it can only have 1 not ready code and pass.

fyi...the previous owner had the rear 02s tuned out etc...
prior to this inspection i welded some high flow cats into the ory
assuming your o2 codes were tuned out properly then driving it should get the monitors set to "ready"... the quickest way i've gotten the o2 monitors to set to ready status is to just start the car up and let it idle until it gets to normal temp and the fans have come on... once it gets into closed loop my o2s have usually set... if your rear o2s were tuned out to where it will only keep the ses light from coming on then some of the monitors may never set and will always show "not ready"
Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

i didnt have the car tuned so i'm not sure how they did it, all i know for sure is that the rear 02s are tuned out and there are no other codes or ses showing. im going to follow your warm up procedure then take it out for a long drive and see what my nearest auto parts store obdll monitor has to say. if this doesnt fix it i guess ill have to see a tuner. thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02s not ready