General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rebuilding an alternator? how much?$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rebuilding an alternator? how much?$$

i got a friend that needs an alternator for a LS1 2000 F-body....he wants to get it rebuilt at one of the local shops....how much does that usually cost? and when being rebuilt can they "UP" the amps on it?

thanks

if anyone knows where i can get one let me know
Old 01-23-2010, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience, 38-50 bucks. Don't know about upping the amps.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rebuild is anywhere from $45 to $90 around here.Yes you can bump up the amp output.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.rushpowersystems.net/?p=27

when rebuidling they cannot "up" the amps,
you can up the output voltage for a given speed the alternator turns by changing out the voltage regulator with one that provides more field current,
but this is not the same as making it a "high-output" alternator where if the electrical system needs 200 amps the alternator could provide 200 amps (at a specified voltage) when spinning the alternator within a given rpm.

read this one:
http://www.rushpowersystems.net/?p=21
Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
http://www.rushpowersystems.net/?p=27

when rebuidling they cannot "up" the amps,
you can up the output voltage for a given speed the alternator turns by changing out the voltage regulator with one that provides more field current,
but this is not the same as making it a "high-output" alternator where if the electrical system needs 200 amps the alternator could provide 200 amps (at a specified voltage) when spinning the alternator within a given rpm.

read this one:
http://www.rushpowersystems.net/?p=21
Let me get this straight your saying if I have an 105 amp alt and I tear it down and order 125 amp internal components that the said alt will not put out more amps? How do you figure that?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Rebuild is anywhere from $45 to $90 around here.Yes you can bump up the amp output.
hmm, why such a big difference in price? what does he tell them if he wants them to make it put out more amps?

it seems this thread is going to get interesting to read!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
hmm, why such a big difference in price? what does he tell them if he wants them to make it put out more amps?

it seems this thread is going to get interesting to read!
Well when you have an alt rebuilt they only replace the failed components. Price will depend on the components replaced.Why are you wanting to bump up the amp output? IIRC the oe amp rating is 102 amp.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive read on some of the other threads that a higher output alt will/could make the car run more efficient.

He just has to stock sound system so i dont know but if wont do much good for the money spent then.......

so rebuilt just means they replace the part that doesnt work...so in a sense some other old part in there could go bad. THat doesnt sound like a rebuild but as long as places warranty it then i guess that ok?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive read on some of the other threads that a higher output alt will/could make the car run more efficient.

He just has to stock sound system so i dont know but if wont do much good for the money spent then.......

so rebuilt just means they replace the part that doesnt work...so in a sense some other old part in there could go bad. THat doesnt sound like a rebuild but as long as places warranty it then i guess that ok?
That's why many people choose to go with a remanufactured alt instead of rebuilt. Just to let you know you can get an high output kit that turns your 102 amp alt into a 220 amp alt. Just parts is $105 no labor. If the alt is bad just grab a reman alt I think they run like $150 with a lifetime warranty.That will be plenty for your buddys fbody.

Last edited by BaddBird; 01-24-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Many people will believe most anything you tell them. A high output alt will not make your car run more efficiently, any more than putting snake oil in with your oil will.

An alternator will only produce current in response to demand. If you have a 100 amp alternator, it doesn't produce 100 amps all the time. In fact, it rarely does. With this same alternator, and 50 amps of electrical load it will produce only 50 amps. If you shut something off that was drawing 10 amps, then the alternator output will drop by that same 10 amps. Turn something else on that draws 20 amps and the output will go up by 20 amps. Unless you have electrical demands that are in excess of your alternators capabilities, there is zero benefit to a high output alternator.

Although the guy selling alternators for a living will appreciate taking your money from you.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah he'll just get a reman....hell might as well be new but for half the price atleast reman is new parts all the way thru.
rebuild just sounds like a waste if all they do is replace whats bad and thats it.

Prices on Ebay are anywhere from $56 to $399..( i cant believe someone is charging $400 for a 200 amp alt)

after reading this thread the prices are crazy stupid for the alts.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Many people will believe most anything you tell them. A high output alt will not make your car run more efficiently, any more than putting snake oil in with your oil will.

An alternator will only produce current in response to demand. If you have a 100 amp alternator, it doesn't produce 100 amps all the time. In fact, it rarely does. With this same alternator, and 50 amps of electrical load it will produce only 50 amps. If you shut something off that was drawing 10 amps, then the alternator output will drop by that same 10 amps. Turn something else on that draws 20 amps and the output will go up by 20 amps. Unless you have electrical demands that are in excess of your alternators capabilities, there is zero benefit to a high output alternator.

Although the guy selling alternators for a living will appreciate taking your money from you.
hey i use snake oil all the time, and it works. ive gone 13.5 stock and using snake oil 12.2. lol

Quick Reply: rebuilding an alternator? how much?$$