General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'TCS Off' light comes on randomly

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 'TCS Off' light comes on randomly

Im having a problem where ill just be driving and the 'TCS Off' light will illuminate on my dash. If i hit the TCS Off button, it will not always go away; most of the time it will just go away itself. What the hell can possibly be going wrong? Bad sensor somewhere? bad ground?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check to see if the plug is snapped all the way in to the back of the switch.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by go-t
Check to see if the plug is snapped all the way in to the back of the switch.
already checked. i just read something about the TPS sensor though. Ill try cleaning that tmmw.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A sensor issue will obviously cause that light to stay on and NOT be able to turn it off until you turn the key off.

But also, changing to different size tires will do it too.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive been using the same size tires since i owned the car (2.5 years) and have never had a problem until recently.

Sometimes the 'TCS Off' light will come on for 2 sec then go away. Sometimes itll stay on for 60 sec and wont go off until i hit the TCS off button. Sometime itll stay on for 60 sec and wont go off, even if i hit the TCS off button..and then itll turn off 30 sec later. The TCS button and the wiring behind it seem to be fine. I just ordered a new TPS switch; ill see if that does anything
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slayerized6
ive been using the same size tires since i owned the car (2.5 years) and have never had a problem until recently.

Sometimes the 'TCS Off' light will come on for 2 sec then go away. Sometimes itll stay on for 60 sec and wont go off until i hit the TCS off button. Sometime itll stay on for 60 sec and wont go off, even if i hit the TCS off button..and then itll turn off 30 sec later. The TCS button and the wiring behind it seem to be fine. I just ordered a new TPS switch; ill see if that does anything
Then its dirty/failing sensors or maybe frayed wires in the rear. Definitely electrical.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Is your 'e-brake- and 'Abs' light coming too? If so, I think it's your ABS module that's connected to the distribution block. If only the TCS light is coming on, then it's something directly related to only that.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

ok 01 ss vert just stated my problem exactly. Ive only really started digging into this problem.... but you said the ABS module is bad. Isnt that all one peace that requires all the brake lines to be taken off or is this something different(seperate)?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
A sensor issue will obviously cause that light to stay on and NOT be able to turn it off until you turn the key off.

But also, changing to different size tires will do it too.

Mine started doing that after I put my new rear end with w/ 3.73s. So maybe the same concept applies here. I posted this a while back and never did get any definitive advise on it. Hopefully this thread will be more productive.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rdd014camaro
ok 01 ss vert just stated my problem exactly. Ive only really started digging into this problem.... but you said the ABS module is bad. Isnt that all one peace that requires all the brake lines to be taken off or is this something different(seperate)?
Yes, and no. You have the correct location, but the lines can stay in the block. It's only the black electrical part that needs to be replaced. It's held on with 6 allen screws. You don't need to take off any brake lines or bleed the system!

Be sure to pick up a unit exactly like your car (3 or 4 channel ABS, with traction control, not sure if transmission matters or not). I posted a 'wanted' ad and bought a used one within an hour of posting. took about an hour to swap units, and that was becuase one of the 6 allen screws was stripped.

When this first happened, I thought it was a wheel speed sensor, but upon further research, and testing all the sensors, it was the module. Not sure what a new one runs, but I got mine for $55 shipped, used.

Hope that helps! PM if you need more info. Rather straight forward and easy to get to.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im pretty sure i fixed the problem. Just replaced the TPS sensor and the OPSU (thats a different story). I rook the TA for a 30 min drive and the "TCS Off" light didnt come on randomly at all; normally, it would happen once every 3-4 min. hopefully i settled the problem once and for all ::knock on wood::

cruise control still doesnt work, but thats not been working for over a year. i could care less if it was working anyway, i think i used it once in the 2.5 years ive owned it