General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New Alternator??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Alternator??

Ok here is the deal. This car has been hell for the past year but here we go. I finally got the car running ok. Today I was driving to work and hit a pretty good high water spot at about 30 mph. The car cranks fine but when I hit the gas the voltage gage pegs to 18 volts. Does this sound like an alternator to you guys. Thanks Gods of LS1Tech! BTW car is a 2001 Pontiac WS6 A4!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No problem at all, it just needs to dry out. Just give it a little time. If while you are driving you want to keep the volts out of the red, just turn on your headlights, on high-beam if neccessary, a/c fan on high helps too. So does the rear defroster if you have it.

This happens to me every time I clean my engine for about 1 full day or so.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Teching In

I had all accessories on (headlights, high beam, heater on HI, Radio, interior lights). And when I was driving around the parking lot I was in the damn thing wouldnt come out the red or 18 volts. Do you think I should let it sit or have it towed home??
Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Happytokr
I had all accessories on (headlights, high beam, heater on HI, Radio, interior lights). And when I was driving around the parking lot I was in the damn thing wouldnt come out the red or 18 volts. Do you think I should let it sit or have it towed home??
No, you can drive it like that to get it home. It should start coming out the red as your engine bay heats up and starts to dry things out.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks for all your help!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

the same thing happened to me!! i washed/rinsed the engine bay, and a couple of days later on a rainy night, the battery volt meter was reading 18, and the idle was preety high mid 1000k to 2000k, i drove like that and it was fine, next day, car just kept starting up at 18volts, turned the fog lights and headlights, it blew them all, put the high beams and it blew them too. couple of days later, car starts up just fine, and i replaced an Idle Air Control Valve and my battery
Old 01-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Started the car today and it acted funny for a while but now everything is ok. Thank god was not looking forward to changing the alternator......AGAIN!