General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

Moved my car out of the garage for some cleaning and its been sitting there awaiting a new clutch for a while. But when I moved it I noticed a nice amount of oil on the ground.
Oil pan gasket? or something else?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tbennett13
Moved my car out of the garage for some cleaning and its been sitting there awaiting a new clutch for a while. But when I moved it I noticed a nice amount of oil on the ground.
Oil pan gasket? or something else?
Probably the rear main seal, but if you are going to put a new clutch in, then just put a new seal in at the same time.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ what he said, make sure the rear cover isn't leaking either. sometimes they leak at the bottom where it meets the oil pan.If you do the rear cover I would recommend using the gm grey engine silicone and running a slight bead on the block and top edge of the oil pan before you install the cover. stick all the bolts in just snug, then torque the ones coming up from the oil pan first before you tighten the ones going into the block. This way it pulls the cover down to the oil pan.If you do it the other way there is the possibilty the rear cover won't be aligned properly causing the seal to be side loaded on the crank and it will leak.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Wow I completely forgot about the rear main seal. But I didn't quite understand what you were saying about the rear cover? Put some silicone on the edge of the front side of the pan?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a bead all along the bottom of the cover where it meets the oil pan... and run a smear on the whole sealing surface at there rear of the block.. Porbably not needed but there was a bulletin about some blocks with porosity (sp) issues in this area.