General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaking belt/Idler pulley

Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeaking belt/Idler pulley

I know search is your friend buuut I need some help. I took off my old Idler pulley repacked it with grease and was about to put it on instead i went to Autozone they came back with this thing that was too small. So the manager went and found one that was similar in size. It looked about right. . . went home to install it and. . . yep it rubbed.

So I took it back, got my original REPACKED pulley and put it on and noise is still there like nothing changed.

Ok i can say for a fact that this noise started after i replaced my motor mounts. Could it be the alternator bracket?

I tried looking up the following parts that were listed in the TSB report from this post: HERE
Where the **** are these parts why are they so hard to find?! I'm tired of my car sounding like a mobile canary nest! Help a guy out.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Search actually isn't your friend...who wants to sit and read for sometimes hours to find what you need. Just post a thread.

I guess it could be the alt bracket, but everything that the serpentine belt goes around is attached to the engine block, so I don't see why that would have change by replacing the motor mounts.
When they start to squeal, its usually impossible to stop them.

If you have the cash, get the Katech fixed belt tensioner. If you do you will buy a new belt and probably have it for the life of the car.

Last edited by LS6427; 02-01-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The idler being a smaller diameter won't matter at all as long as the belt will still tension properly. The idler will just spin a little faster due to the reduction in diameter.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

my AC idler was the culprit and I thought id never figure it out, just do a little pokin around under the hood and check all of em. should be pretty cheap/easy if its a tensioner or something of the sort, maybe it was just bad timing since it went bad right after you did motor mounts lol. Alternator bracket is a popular second
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
The idler being a smaller diameter won't matter at all as long as the belt will still tension properly. The idler will just spin a little faster due to the reduction in diameter.
Yea thats what I figured, but the guy at Autozone wouldn't let me walk out the door with it. . . idk. maybe he was just scared it would jump off the damn drive due to the smaller diameter or somin.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you checked all the accessories? I spent the better part of a day trying to figure out if it was my friends idler pulley on his z and finally i ended up spinning the alternator and viola.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Yea i spun the Alt. it is just fine. I just think its b*llsh*t that i go to autozone to get an idler pulley and they come back with one that is SIGNIFICANTLY different.

I'm gonna go take the bracket off and put it back on and see what that does. I NEVER torque anything to spec i just tighten it to what i think is about right.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Back when I had my 1996 3800 'bird, one of my idlers actually broke and FELL OFF while the engine was running! I kid you not! It was plastic, and the center just broke off.

That being said, I think I remember having to go to the dealer to get a new idler. Hope that helps!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sykokilla
I NEVER torque anything to spec i just tighten it to what i think is about right.
At some point, that'll bite you right square in the ***. Hopefully, you won't hurt someone in the process.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Yea,goodpoint.
Guess its time to invest in a torque wrench
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Just get some belt dressing and start spraying pullies. Spray them one at a time, when the squeak stops thats the bad pulley. This is what I did on my car, ended up being my A/C belt tensioner.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Well today i said F*** it and went to the dealer and ordered alternator bracket and GM idler pulley. I will install them along with a new gatorback belt. TAKE THAT YOU SQUEAKING MOTHER F***ER!!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha... awesome
Old 02-15-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sykokilla
Ok i can say for a fact that this noise started after i replaced my motor mounts...
if you are 100% positive that is when the noise started, the you probably just contaminated the belt, and a new belt and brake clean on the pulleys before installing the new belt would fix it.

one thing to do to diffentiate between the a/c belt and main belt is to run the car with one belt at a time installed. whichever one removed nets you a quiet engine will tell you whether is the a/c belt or pulleys, or if its the main belt or pulleys.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Some info that might help someone else in the future.
Allot of the auto parts stores dont list items for the 01-02 cars for some reason.
If you search for a 99 Camaro/Firebird Idler I bet they have one.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

The TSB dated March 2000 lists the new part numbers for the idler pulley and alternator bracket, 12563326, 12563327. It was a mid 2000 change on the production line. The earlier pulley WONT fit on the later bracket. The pulley is the same size but the bearing is wider on the later one. The aftermarket is scarce on the different pulleys. You can find the early one easy,the later one, not so much. I had to special order DAYCO 89159 from pimp boys, 40$. The bearings in all the pulleys do not last forever, cheap insurance to replace all of them........... How do you repack the sealed bearings in these pulleys???????
Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
The TSB dated March 2000 lists the new part numbers for the idler pulley and alternator bracket, 12563326, 12563327. It was a mid 2000 change on the production line. The earlier pulley WONT fit on the later bracket. The pulley is the same size but the bearing is wider on the later one. The aftermarket is scarce on the different pulleys. You can find the early one easy,the later one, not so much. I had to special order DAYCO 89159 from pimp boys, 40$. The bearings in all the pulleys do not last forever, cheap insurance to replace all of them........... How do you repack the sealed bearings in these pulleys???????
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...r-pulleys.html

Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Teching In

I had an idler squeaking and had to pack it, install, run it, and do a remove and pack again before it quit. If you spin everything with the belts off and can't tell, I would remove the AC belt and run it. At least you would narrow down which belt it is on (eliminating three on the AC side).
Old 02-27-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbird02
I had an idler squeaking and had to pack it, install, run it, and do a remove and pack again before it quit. If you spin everything with the belts off and can't tell, I would remove the AC belt and run it. At least you would narrow down which belt it is on (eliminating three on the AC side).
I did this, too, and vice versa. It ended up being my power steering pump pulley. I replaced water pump power steering pump at the same time but before my pulley broke into 20 pieces it started doing it again. WD40 works really good too lol.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Well I just got a DEALER alternator bracket and a DEALER idler pulley that fit on the bracket.
the pulley rubs the bracket.

What
The

And if I tighten the pulley too much it wont spin. So now i have it on there. I'm debating on whether to start it up. Also got a $30 gatorback belt.

I guess im wondering how can DEALER OEM parts not be compatible with one another? BTW it rub with and without the dustjacket and washer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking belt/Idler pulley