General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help asap please!!!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap please!!!!!

Long story short I was driving home one day from work and it died on me... I called my parents and it took about 15 minutes for them to get there and we tried to start it and it started up fine, I drove it home no problem. next day I drove it around about 30 minutes and it died again... waited 15 minutes and I drove it straight home, ran fine and I let it sit idol for about 15 minutes and it was fine. We changed the battery and the alternator because the charges were low so we figured that was it. After we did that I drove it around my block for 2 hours.... came back home my mom took it to Walgreens and on way back it died.... (25 minutes drive total… we waited 15 minutes it started but died right away and hasn’t started since... now here is where the problem is. WE HAVE NOW CHANGED EVERYTHING IN THE IGNITION SYSTEM; new computer, new distributor, new coil, new map sensor, new coil wires, new spark plugs new EVERYTHING no joke EVERYTHING. Still will not start, so we called Chevy and downloaded ALL the test procedures and ALL the test procedures pass except we have no spark at the coil and therefore car still won’t start. For some reason we are not getting a spark at the coil. EVERYTHING is new and EVERYTHING passes the test. Except the no spark at coil. We do not know where else to look
PLEASE THROW OUT IDEAS WE ARE COMPLETELY OUT OF IDEAS; TODAY WE CHECKED EVERY SINGLE WIRE IN THE SYSTEM FOR VOLTAGES AND CONTINUITY. WIRES WERE FINE! the car cranks... but wont kick over (if that matters for diagnosing.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Teching In

no1 gunna help me...?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, don't have a clue?? Electrical grimlins are a bitch.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Teching In

did the car sit for a really long time? If so it may be a fuel pump issue, thats wat happened to mine at least
Old 02-06-2010, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Need a little more information. what kinda car is it? motor? trans? mods? little details will go a long way with this.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first thoughts were fuel pump, sounds like a classic failing fuel pump. but then you said you werent getting spark at the coils. that really threw me off. just to make sure it is not the fuel pump. have someone turn the ignition on but dont crank the engine while you listen underneith the rear for the pump to pressurize the system. if you dont hear it you have fuel pump issues. that is the best i can do for you man. hope that helps
Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM

Helps if you post in the right forum.. General repair...........Moving
Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's a long shot, but did you check any grounds at all. The battery of course(corroded terminals), grounding strap from the alternator fraying (would most likely only be a problem when its running). Wish I could be more help that that is a weird problem bro. One thing about the coilpacks though, is that they normally go bad one at a time and not all of them at once. If it is the fact that you aren't getting any spark whatsoever then it would be a battery-ignition relay issue. Your coilpacks are most likely fine. But thinking about it, your battery ground would also most likely be fine because your car is cranking easily by the sounds of it. But I would be looking into relays most likely. They rarely go out, and have never personally seen one go out. But that would be my suspect. I believe there are two of them too, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since i looked in the fuse panels under the hood.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I REALLY wish you had checked the fuel pump pressure before you went and changed all of that stuff out. Oh well, at least the rest of the car's been maintained. Now, get a fuel pump pressure gauge and hook that up to your car. If you're serious about properly diagnosing we'll post up the fuel pump pressure values that you need to have at "key-on," running and after-shut-off.

I'm betting it's the fuel pump, though. If I had a dollar for every time I heard about a fuel pump going out on an F-body I could rescue GM from financial disaster...
Old 02-12-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by myk
If I had a dollar for every time I heard about a fuel pump going out on an F-body I could rescue GM from financial disaster...
A better use would be to build yourself a super cool ride!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck2009
Long story short I was driving home one day from work and it died on me... I called my parents and it took about 15 minutes for them to get there and we tried to start it and it started up fine, I drove it home no problem. next day I drove it around about 30 minutes and it died again... waited 15 minutes and I drove it straight home, ran fine and I let it sit idol for about 15 minutes and it was fine. We changed the battery and the alternator because the charges were low so we figured that was it. After we did that I drove it around my block for 2 hours.... came back home my mom took it to Walgreens and on way back it died.... (25 minutes drive total… we waited 15 minutes it started but died right away and hasn’t started since... now here is where the problem is. WE HAVE NOW CHANGED EVERYTHING IN THE IGNITION SYSTEM; new computer, new distributor, new coil, new map sensor, new coil wires, new spark plugs new EVERYTHING no joke EVERYTHING. Still will not start, so we called Chevy and downloaded ALL the test procedures and ALL the test procedures pass except we have no spark at the coil and therefore car still won’t start. For some reason we are not getting a spark at the coil. EVERYTHING is new and EVERYTHING passes the test. Except the no spark at coil. We do not know where else to look
PLEASE THROW OUT IDEAS WE ARE COMPLETELY OUT OF IDEAS; TODAY WE CHECKED EVERY SINGLE WIRE IN THE SYSTEM FOR VOLTAGES AND CONTINUITY. WIRES WERE FINE! the car cranks... but wont kick over (if that matters for diagnosing.
First mistake....not coming here before spending any money on fixes. BUT.....too late now.

If you have fuel pressure....

I think you have a bad Crank Shaft Position sensor. They WILL NOT throw a code until they are completely failed, and then the engine will not start. I've had one fail, and the symptoms you are having are EXACTLY what happens when they are failing.

Get one and put it in. Takes 15 minutes and they're cheap, like $45.00. If thats not it you can remove it and return it for a refund.

And what year and type car do you have?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
First mistake....not coming here before spending any money on fixes. BUT.....too late now.

If you have fuel pressure....

I think you have a bad Crank Shaft Position sensor. They WILL NOT throw a code until they are completely failed, and then the engine will not start. I've had one fail, and the symptoms you are having are EXACTLY what happens when they are failing.

Get one and put it in. Takes 15 minutes and they're cheap, like $45.00. If thats not it you can remove it and return it for a refund.

And what year and type car do you have?

that sounds like the best possibility. my friends duramax did the same thing recently.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With no spark at coil,I think crank position sensor is a good guess.Again, what year and motor-LS1 or LT1?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Launching!

Im gonna agree and say bad CKP sensor. Good luck.

Search this Thread