General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

can you rethread a battery terminal

Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can you rethread a battery terminal

I unplugged the battery and the positive terminal and the screw comes out. However when i put the terminal back in it keeps turning and doesnt tighten.. The bolt is ok however the threads in the battery term look to be stripped. I was going to go get a re threader thing from sears but i dont want to be shocked to hell. so id appreciate it if anyone can give me any advice on what i can do.

thanks
Jay

Last edited by 6']['9; 02-04-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't get shocked as long as you stay away from the neg terminal.

But I don't think rethreading will work. If the material is gone, then what? It may be possible to solder some new material in and rethread, but that sounds like more work than the battery is worth.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Are you talking about the actual battery or the battery connections?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come to think of it, since your battery is junk anyway, I would try this for a ghetto fix:

Take a hammer and punch and try to work the soft terminal of the battery until you make the threaded hole smaller. Then chase it with a bottoming tap.

It's a longshot, but what the hell?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

its an optima red top. so it might be worth a try cause i dont want to pay another 150 for another battery.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't try the solder routine, because you won't be able to bring enough heat to bear on the battery terminal to not damage the battery. That terminal will be a great heat sink. This would require a HUGE iron to get it hot enough, a Rat Shack pencil won't do. In fact, it would probably require a torch. Not a good idea around a battery.

What I would do is (very carefully, don't go too deep or you'll be buying a new battery) drill out the terminal and the hole in cable connector to the next bigger size and re-tap it.

As long as you don't have any connection between + and -, you won't get shocked. Don't try this with the battery in the car.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Seeing as soft as the lead is, just get a 7/16 tap, (or whatever size you need for a 3/8" helicoil), tap it (you shouldnt need to drill it), then screw the helicoil in. Should work for a while anyway.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup either way should work just tap it to one size bigger and get a bolt for that size or screw in a helicoil.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Teching In

not positive, but i think you can but a terminal converter type thing. where you can use either type of battery with either type of batt. cable. so ypu could use you top post with your current cable. or you could get a replacment post type terminal and rig it to work with the GM type batt. cable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can you rethread a battery terminal