General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key stopped working to start car

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Key stopped working to start car

Recently when I try to start the car with the key it will engage the starter for about a 1/2 second and then just stop even if I keep holding the key at the "start" position...no dash lights or anything. It almost acts like the battery is dead (which it isn't). Sometimes it will do this and if I hold the key at the start position it will engage the starter for that 1/2 second then after a very short delay it will start normally.
Important clue: I have a start button wired in (splices into ignition wiring, doesn't cut/replace wiring) which works perfectly every time no matter what and has been in the car for years (this requires my key to be in the "on" position). This makes me believe 99% that the proplem is somewhere between the key and the key cylinder thing on the steering column. I don't get a security light so I doubt it's a VATS problem either. Also, since I like to use my start button all the time the key never really gets used to engage the "start" position on the steering column so could it be that something broke or isn't making contact due to a lack of use?
I did a search and the popular answer seemed to be the neutral safety switch, but in my case since the start button works perfectly every time this can't be the problem (I still have to depress the clutch to start with the button). Another popular answer seemed to be a bad relay but I couldn't find much info on where the relay was and if replacing it worked or not.
What are some ideas here?
I appreciate your input.
Thanks.

Last edited by zfastss; 02-10-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really hope you get some replies to this because im having the exact same problem with my car.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your ignition switch is down lower on the column. It is actuated by a push rod from the lock cylinder.

Just before the switch gets to the "start" position, it cuts power from everything except what the car needs to start and run.

Your rod is likely out of adjustment. This would explain both your starting problem, as well as your "dead battery" feeling.

You could be in for a free fix.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is having a similar problem. it works every time after i mess with the lil chip thing on the key. has anyone ever had a problem with the key itself or am i hallucinating?