General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

somebody help me! Vacuum leak?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default somebody help me! Vacuum leak?!

Alrighty well i've had reason to think I've had a vacuum leak for a little over a week now, and my car did throw a p0400 EGR flow malfunction code. The car runs flawlessly though, nothing really all that unusual, but i do think i hear what may be a vacuum leak? i took a video of it and it sounds as if its near the front of the intake manifold, but i have no clue exactly where. Also the idle was only surging when i gave it more gas because it was on a dead cold start and hadn't run in a few days. Excuse the bandage on my nose also, i jsut had nose surgery done haha.

here's the video!
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...Picture102.flv
Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its the old style EGR with the vacuum hose coming off the top, then its possible the hose cracked somewhere before it hit the intake...if its the new style where its only a wiring connector, the gasket might have a crack in it preventing a good seal...or the tube running from the y-pipe rusted through. also possible, and a decent one at that, that where the EGR mounts to its bracket/intake, the ports are clogged with carbon; thats easily fixed with removing the EGR and some carb clean and possibly a screwdriver if its caked on enough, but youd want to make sure none of that crap falls into the intake. cant help much being im not there sorry.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

i forgot to mention this is on a 1996 firebird also
Old 02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spray carb cleaner around where ever you think the leak is comming from. if the idle changes you located the vacuum leak.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

For those who want to help me out check out my new thread, i foudn the leak..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...your-help.html