General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is my car doing??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my car doing??

For the past few days, sometimes on startup my 01 z28 will start kinda rough. It doesn't do it every time, and i've tried doing it both warm and cold, and it still does it at random. Sometimes it sounds sort of like a clicking noise and others it sounds like theres a longer delay before the starter firing. Once or twice it started making a grinding noise and I had to let off the ignition then try to start it again. I keep trying to think of what it could be but a thousand little things keep popping into my head. starter? alternator? battery? oil pump? fuel filter? I've had a small oil leak lately coming from I think either the rear main seal or oil filter, it started when i switched to fully synthetic but it's one or two drops after i turn the car off then it stops, and i check my oil level regularly and it hasn't gone down enough to notice, and I don't think it has anything to do with this but I just wanted to throw that out there just in case. I also recently cut my exhaust off at the Y so I could sell my muffler just until i could afford to finish my LT/ORX setup but I left more than enough room from the o2 sensors to where they wouldn't foul. anyone have any advice for me?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

have u looked at your key? sometimes the keys get worn down for whatever reason, but anyways the metal may not be making a proper connection.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm it does look pretty worn, never thought of that. The spare the guy gave me when I bought it was broken anyway, so I should probably get a new one made anyway. IDK tho, i also forgot to mention that my oil pressure gauge vibrates slightly back and forth at idle but that only happens sometimes too, but that might be from the exhaust shaking the cab pretty bad since I cut it off. I'm pretty sure my low oil sensor is toast too, wonder if that could have anything to do with it? The SES light has been on since i bought the car but i figured it was some dummy code, the car drives without a single issue at all. Might have to run it by and get checked.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone have any other ideas? I just wanna make sure nothing is about to blow up on me and leave me car-less
Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

loose battery cable or looks connection to the starter?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is around 2AM.. Hopefully parked in your driveway.

Sorry, had to..
Old 02-16-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol thanks for all the info guys. I was thinking that this was an electrical problem of some sort, i'll check all the connections on my day off tomorrow. Still not ruling out a possibility of alternator or battery, alternator already seems like its on its last leg and god knows how old the battery is
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

go get the codes checked, it could be a ton of things, but that may help lead you in the right direction.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also a good thing. Every time i take it to vatozone tho somone who works there ALWAYS tries to tell me it could be a head gasket. No matter what car i'm driving. I could be driving my moms car and they'd say "oh the left taillight went out? Probably the head gasket"

I'm giving Jeff at JR a call sometime this week or next week tho to tune out my rear o2's, he could probably pull the codes too