General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoam Deep Creep

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Seafoam Deep Creep

Guys, will deep creep clean out any oil that's in my intake manifold if I just spray it in the thought the throttle body? I installed a catch can recently, but still want to get rid of any oil that's in there, if there is any.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Greekey
Guys, will deep creep clean out any oil that's in my intake manifold if I just spray it in the thought the throttle body? I installed a catch can recently, but still want to get rid of any oil that's in there, if there is any.
Not really.

I took my intake off today and every runner opening had alot of sticky oil in them. It was coated.

I sprayed a half a can in every runner and let it soak for about an hour, turning it so the SeaFoam would touch all areas. I then took my finger to feel if it loosened it up.......NOPE. It was just sludgy black stuff now. I had to get a rag and wipe it off. Then I took a bendable toilet brush and crammed it in and out of each runner to get that **** off.

Spraying it in the TB will do NOTHING. It must be physically wiped off. The toilet brush method is all that really works to get 100% of it out.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

remove the manifold and clean it off the engine
Old 02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slayerized6
remove the manifold and clean it off the engine
Yup, its like dirt on your paint, spraying it with water does nothing...it must be wiped off.

I never realized how tough that stuff was till yesterday. Sea Foam is cheezy to use anyway to clean the top end.

But even the foaming MCCC can;'t remove the coating inside the intake and head chambers. It will soak in and remove very thin layers, but ain't NO WAY you're gonna get any kind of substantial amount out to consider it a good cleaning.

Taking the intake off was a breeze, had it off in about 30 minutes. First time doing it. Well worth the time to get it clean like new. Only thing is the inside of the intake itself, not the runners. Its kinf od hard to get to all the nooks and cranny inside the intake. The runners are easy with the toilet brush and Seafoam.
I'm gonna tape off the runner ports and tape off the TB opening, then I'm gonna spray a whole can of MCCC into it till its full of foam and its squirting out of the brake booster hose, then I'll plug it and let it sit overnight. Then rinse it out with water and let it dry out. Only way I can think of cleaning the inside of the intake.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yup, its like dirt on your paint, spraying it with water does nothing...it must be wiped off.

I never realized how tough that stuff was till yesterday. Sea Foam is cheezy to use anyway to clean the top end.

But even the foaming MCCC can;'t remove the coating inside the intake and head chambers. It will soak in and remove very thin layers, but ain't NO WAY you're gonna get any kind of substantial amount out to consider it a good cleaning.

Taking the intake off was a breeze, had it off in about 30 minutes. First time doing it. Well worth the time to get it clean like new. Only thing is the inside of the intake itself, not the runners. Its kinf od hard to get to all the nooks and cranny inside the intake. The runners are easy with the toilet brush and Seafoam.
I'm gonna tape off the runner ports and tape off the TB opening, then I'm gonna spray a whole can of MCCC into it till its full of foam and its squirting out of the brake booster hose, then I'll plug it and let it sit overnight. Then rinse it out with water and let it dry out. Only way I can think of cleaning the inside of the intake.
purple power (or any other degreaser) in a spray bottle and go wild. Takes 5 min with that and a hose and youll have a clean intake in no time
Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

purple power (or any other degreaser) in a spray bottle and go wild. Takes 5 min with that and a hose and youll have a clean intake in no time
Without wiping it off you think it'll cut that oil coating off inside the intake?

Where do you buy that stuff?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Without wiping it off you think it'll cut that oil coating off inside the intake?

Where do you buy that stuff?

dont use degreaser while the intake is still on the engine. you can get it at walmart or just about any auto parts store. purple power, simple green, greased lighting...all the same

when i did it like i described, i just soaked the whole inside of the IM with purple power, let it sit for a min or two and blasted the inside with a garden hose. i repeated that 2-3 times and my manifold was cleaner than the day it was made. I never actually "wiped" anything; i let the water pressure to its work. i then took an air compressor and blew the inside dry.

just get a gallon of degreaser and a 99 cent spray bottle. you can clean your intake, clean the whole engine bay. clean the under carriage, and clean just about anything that would have a film of oil on it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

dont use degreaser while the intake is still on the engine. you can get it at walmart or just about any auto parts store. purple power, simple green, greased lighting...all the same

when i did it like i described, i just soaked the whole inside of the IM with purple power, let it sit for a min or two and blasted the inside with a garden hose. i repeated that 2-3 times and my manifold was cleaner than the day it was made. I never actually "wiped" anything; i let the water pressure to its work. i then took an air compressor and blew the inside dry.

just get a gallon of degreaser and a 99 cent spray bottle. you can clean your intake, clean the whole engine bay. clean the under carriage, and clean just about anything that would have a film of oil on it.
lol....no its still off the engine.

I was just literally gonna fill the intake with something, literally fill it up and let it soak for a night. Then run the toilet brush through each runner again and run it through the inside of the intake wherever it'll reach.

The stuff is pretty stiff like glue, its not like just a wet coating of oil.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

IM = intake manifold

go out and buy a gallon of concentrated purple power in the auto section of walmart for $6 and then go into the home cleaning dept and get a 99 cent spray bottle. MCCC will not work as well as a degreaser will.

1. lay the IM down and spray through the TB opening. let it sit for a a min or 2 and spray with garden hose
2. lay IM upside down and spray through each intake runner and then some. let sit and spray out with garden hose.
3- hold IM upright so TB opening faces up. spray degreaser, let sit and spray with garden hose.

follow these steps using full concentrate degreaser (dont water it down). if you dont have a clean IM after 5-10 min, ill paypal you back your $7. the only time youll have to wipe something down is if you want to dry it ASAP, but its not necessary.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

IM = intake manifold

go out and buy a gallon of concentrated purple power in the auto section of walmart for $6 and then go into the home cleaning dept and get a 99 cent spray bottle. MCCC will not work as well as a degreaser will.

1. lay the IM down and spray through the TB opening. let it sit for a a min or 2 and spray with garden hose
2. lay IM upside down and spray through each intake runner and then some. let sit and spray out with garden hose.
3- hold IM upright so TB opening faces up. spray degreaser, let sit and spray with garden hose.

follow these steps using full concentrate degreaser (dont water it down). if you dont have a clean IM after 5-10 min, ill paypal you back your $7. the only time youll have to wipe something down is if you want to dry it ASAP, but its not necessary.
Alrighty, I'll give it a try tomorrow before I slap everything back together.

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You might also try brake kleen.

Quick Reply: Seafoam Deep Creep