General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine stalling and not responding to throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalling and not responding to throttle

So the other day i was out for a drive in the ol 99 Z28 when the car all of a sudden started to sputter like it was out of gas while i was going about 50 mph. the car slowed a bit and i down shifted and gave it gas but it wasn't responding. so i pulled off to the side of the road and had a buddy come trailer it to his shop. when we got there i tried to start it again and it died almost instantly. after about the fourth attempt to start it it turned over.it kicked up like normal but sputtered and was almost completely unresponsive to the throttle. i changed the fuel filter but that was no help at all. when i turn the ignition to on i can hear the fuel pump kick on and ive checked the schrader valve and there is pressure, but i am unsure as to how much pressure is supposed to be while the engine is off. i did manage to get the engine to stay on while intermittently giving it some throttle, but it revs up to about 3 grand maximum. it also will not hold a consistent rpm at any given amount of throttle i give it. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong? ive also tried swapping the MAF sensor and TPS sensor without much change in its condition.
EDIT: also, the check engine light isnt on, so i dont believe it is throwing any codes

Last edited by Playr; 02-17-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-18-2010, 01:53 AM
On The Tree

Sounds to me like the fuel pump went out. The sputtering sounds like the engine is starving for fuel. Have you ever had the fuel pump changed? How many miles does it have?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 AM
Launching!

You should use a pressure gauge and attach it to the end of your fuel line on the fuel rail. If it reads too less pressure then you need to start thinking fuel injectors.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Launching!

Sry for got to add...make sure you do it before you turn the car on. Once you place it then you can turn the car on and mark what it reads.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:16 AM
Launching!

Sry for got to add...make sure you do it before you turn the car on. Once you place it then you can turn the car on and mark what it reads
Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lvbroham1
Sounds to me like the fuel pump went out. The sputtering sounds like the engine is starving for fuel. Have you ever had the fuel pump changed? How many miles does it have?
Car has 120k on it and as far as I know the fuel pump has never been changed. Haven't had a chance to check the fuel pressure yet but will soon
Old 02-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Playr
So the other day i was out for a drive in the ol 99 Z28 when the car all of a sudden started to sputter like it was out of gas while i was going about 50 mph. the car slowed a bit and i down shifted and gave it gas but it wasn't responding. so i pulled off to the side of the road and had a buddy come trailer it to his shop. when we got there i tried to start it again and it died almost instantly. after about the fourth attempt to start it it turned over.it kicked up like normal but sputtered and was almost completely unresponsive to the throttle. i changed the fuel filter but that was no help at all. when i turn the ignition to on i can hear the fuel pump kick on and ive checked the schrader valve and there is pressure, but i am unsure as to how much pressure is supposed to be while the engine is off. i did manage to get the engine to stay on while intermittently giving it some throttle, but it revs up to about 3 grand maximum. it also will not hold a consistent rpm at any given amount of throttle i give it. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong? ive also tried swapping the MAF sensor and TPS sensor without much change in its condition.
EDIT: also, the check engine light isnt on, so i dont believe it is throwing any codes
Our cars don't throw codes for alot of things until they are totally failed....we still have idiot lights and dumb PCM's.

You need to get a scan with a real OBDII scanner so you can actually see things operating while the engine is running. Like 02 sensors switching properly.

Could be a bunch of things, like a failing 02 sensor(s) or a failing Crankshaft position sensor.

But I'd definitely start with checking that fuel pressure at the rail.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Teching In

hey it could be your 02 sensors. my 02 sensor got loos when i took my formula to the car wash and i got the under spray my 02 sensors got wet and gave it a slow respons and it would do run really bad and shut off like that. and LS6427 is right bc i used one of them dumb scaners it was junk i towed my car to my tuner and he hooked up his lap top to it and got a better idea bc even the 02 sensor was bad the maf didnt run ither so i would check out the sensors and your fuses too.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

fuel pressure is 10 psi, gonna change the fuel pump
Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
...with cheese.

I was going to say, that's what it sounds like.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Launching!

could be the injectors as well..
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Playr
fuel pressure is 10 psi, gonna change the fuel pump
Any updates???
Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 AM
Launching!

Hello??? So what happen?? What was it?? Once people figure it out they forget to come back and let us know what it was so that we know