General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car missing/sputtering question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car missing/sputtering question?

Well first off awhile back my car got some water in it and sucked into the intake and somewhat in the car due to some flooding and it hasn't seemed to run perfectly since then.

I know it isn't something big because the motor sounds healthy with no knocks, pings, or any strange sounds at idle and WOT. But what it does is it seems to drive fine sometimes and then all of a sudden the engine will change tone and seem like it goes about 50% power then it will kinda miss a little and sometimes pop. Then you give it some gas and it seems like it returns is seems fine. I recently did most of the minor things that I figured it could be. I changed the spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, and cleaned the MAF.

The car actually will drive fine for awhile and then it will pull a code up after some driving for an o2 code, bank 1 sensor 1. Could this be the only thing it could be? I tried cleaning the o2 sensors but maybe I just need new ones because maybe they got wet when it flooded. Could the wires on the MAF went bad? I know water did get into the intake but none got sucked down because I turned the car off and removed the intake that night and made sure everything was dry. Tom. I guess I will removed my MAF from my friends car and see if that's it? Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Your a lucky one, I had to replace my engine
Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NHRAspecialbird
Your a lucky one, I had to replace my engine
Yah, mine seems to be in good shape just trying to find the culprit of my issue. Which I think is probably the o2's or the maf. I just hate spending money and it doesn't fix the issue...
Old 02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Could be corrosion in a connector somewhere.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Could be corrosion in a connector somewhere.
Well on the o2's I have extension harnesses and they are damn near brand new. Only a few months on them because one of them was sitting too close to the header and melted some wires so I purchased new ones.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Well a minute ago I went out and unplugged the MAF to see if it could be there? It ran like complete **** and couldn't catch and idle and kept dying and it was hestitating really bad while driving. I'm not sure if it matters that I have an SLP 85MM but the car is a head/cam car tuned?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:33 PM
...with cheese.

If you've got a bad O2 sensor the car is going to run like ****. Listen to what the car is telling you and go from there.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Teching In

I'm having the same problem my car is sputtering, and driving like crap, and engine light blinks, but I have no cats, and I took it to the dealership and the scanner didn't read anything at the time, i'm thinking its the 02 sensors but i'm not sure, i'ma replace them and see what happens cuz i've spent too much money on this problem already. o and i already re-routed the crank sensor so it would get fried.