General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help with driver side window

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with driver side window

Somebody tried to break into my Trans am and broke the driver side window. Not the motor, they just managed to snap off the guide roller from the window mount on the bottom of the window. is there a way to fix this or do i have to pay some body shop to replace the cast iron bracket on the window and the missing guide roller. The guide track is fine its not bent or anything. any takers on this one??
Old 02-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The guide roller has a socket built in to it and attaches to a ball on the end of a post. If the post is still there and not broken, the roller should just snap back on. When you put it all together, you'll want to get some Syl-Glide from Napa to lubricate everything. (It matches the lubricant already on the rollers.)
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The roller isnt broken, in fact i found it in the bottom of the door. What broke was the bracket that is attached to the window. how do i fix that??
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 99bullitsilverTA
The roller isnt broken, in fact i found it in the bottom of the door. What broke was the bracket that is attached to the window. how do i fix that??
... depends. do you have a picture?

If the post that's on the bracket towards the rear of the door snapped off, some people have been able to weld it back on - but just replacing the whole bracket may be the path of least resistance.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's called the window channel, and it's a PITA.

I broke that same roller off on mine. Did they break the window too, or just that channel? It will be easier to get out with no window there.

You have to remove the side-view mirror and its mounting bracket. The hardest part is popping the channel off the regulator. The window is held to the channel by 3 big rivets. You punch out the middle and then break the tabs (you'll understand when you see it).

I used bolts to attach the window to the new channel, but make sure they don't interfere with anything else.