General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Leak, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak, HELP

First of yall, yes, i search. but havent actually found the answer or solution to why its leaking. But my PS pump is leaking extremely bad now....
Most people say its the pump or the lines. but i need to know what it is for sure. The cooling lines seem to be an issue and i seen 'LS6427' had a write up where he made an alternate cooling method with bypassing the radiator. So what is the most common issues with the leaks? the pump, or the lines? or both, and last of all, where can i get these lines, autozone maybe?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

not sure how to fix it but just be careful it does not leak onto the alt or you will have even bigger issues .
Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

its already leaking all over the alternator but its not damaged it yet. its leaking so bad that its goin all over my trans and exhaust?!?! WTF is this **** guys plz help im bout to just go manual rack and pinon. not really but ****! Im just gonna start by replacing everything??
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Launching!

I got a ps pump is you need one. pm if interested. My 78 ford f-150 leaked ps fluid. I went to autozone and bought that stop leak **** and bam!! gone. GL
Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

TPRDFW,

If its leaking onto the alternator its probably dripping from the bottom port of the reservoir. Check that clamp and check that hose for leaks. Could possibly be a cracked reservoir too.
Is it clean around the cap? They can lose their sealing capability like a radiator cap can.

My aftermarket setup is great, it actually cools the PS fluid, unlike the factory PS fluid cooler.
If you have the factory PS fluid cooler, remove it if you have the time and money to do what I did. While you're at it change that hose and clamp too. Just make sure you don't have a cracked somewhere on the reservoir tank thats spitting fluid after it gets hot and pressurized.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

The only way to know for sure where it's leaking is to get under the front of the car and look. Clean stuff off first.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Banned

^^^agree.

Do it after its all the way up to operating temp right after a city drive, so the PS fluid is warmed up pretty good. Put it on ramps and get under and look. If you see nothing while its still idling, turn it off and wait 5 minutes and start looking again while the engine is off. Some leaks start afterwards because temps of fluids tend to rise a bit before they start to cool because they're sitting still and not being cooled any more.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by TPRDFW
its already leaking all over the alternator but its not damaged it yet. its leaking so bad that its goin all over my trans and exhaust?!?! WTF is this **** guys plz help im bout to just go manual rack and pinon. not really but ****! Im just gonna start by replacing everything??
Is your PS fluid level going down at a fast rate? If not then its not a fast leak. My pump has been dripping on my alternator for 50K miles and nothing bad has happened yet. (I'm going to re-do the system in the future but still figuring out what/how I'm going to do it.)

If your pump is leaking, you'll probably notice caked-on fluid on one side of your hoses in addition to the drips on the alternator.

The connections of the hoses to the rack can also leak - but those can be fixed easy with new O rings.

P/S pressure hoses leak eventually on all cars, usually where the metal is joined to the rubber. If you have an issue there, you'll see fluid spread all around the hose.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

thanks guys it doesnt seem to be leaking where the lines go in to the rack it just seems to be leaking somewhere up top ( resvior, pump, hoes) can i get all these parts at orileys or somewhere?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

yes, but I wouldn't go shopping until you know what you need.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where do get the o-rings at
Old 02-23-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any place that sells hoses.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TPRDFW
thanks guys it doesnt seem to be leaking where the lines go in to the rack it just seems to be leaking somewhere up top ( resvior, pump, hoes) can i get all these parts at orileys or somewhere?
For the hose that connects to the bottom of the reservoir port, just regular 3/8" heater hose. Get 3 feet.
The other hoses are metal and rubber, maybe dealer only parts.

Did you put it up on ramps and watch for leaks?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

not yet but im soon too. thanks for the help.

Ill replace the hoses, if it continues than the pump, if it contiues than the rack.

but that is only if i cant pin point the leak.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

bumpppppppppp
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Considering the mess its making, its probably the High Pressure line speaking from experience. Jack the car up....get under it on jack stands, have someone turn the steering wheel until it maxs out and starts whining...that puts the most pressure on the system and thats when you will probably see the fluid spraying from your high pressure line from some point. High pressure line is the rubber/metal line that goes from the side of the pump into the rack(Bout $25-$30 at parts store) Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

thanks man that helped the most. i will change it tonight!!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
For the hose that connects to the bottom of the reservoir port, just regular 3/8" heater hose. Get 3 feet.

I would not recommend this hose. Auto parts stores sell a specific p/s hose by the foot. Using regular 3/8 hose, you will have another leak before you want one. Spend a couple of extra bucks now,fix it once instead of doing it again in the middle of nowhere. And as far as I know, there is not a 3/8 heater hose-it would be fuel hose. Unless some company is making it now.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
I would not recommend this hose. Auto parts stores sell a specific p/s hose by the foot. Using regular 3/8 hose, you will have another leak before you want one. Spend a couple of extra bucks now,fix it once instead of doing it again in the middle of nowhere. And as far as I know, there is not a 3/8 heater hose-it would be fuel hose. Unless some company is making it now.
I bought my 3/8" heater hose over a year ago when I replaced that ps fluid reservoir hose, and its perfect still. It says "heater hose" on it. Not much pressure in that hose, it should last for a very long time. But I didn't know they had hose specially made for ps fluid lines, I would have gotten it. These are just fine though.

I've also had this exact same 3/8" heater hose as my tranny cooler lines since 2002 and they look like new still. And my tranny fluid gets a whole lot hotter than my ps fluid does. And tranny fluid is more harmful to rubber than ps fluid.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned

ya those hoses are fine.