General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clunking noise during idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise during idle

Hello,
I hope someone can help me with this. I have a loud clunking noise during idle that i thought for sure was my exhaust hitting. The clucking noise matches the idle of the car. It started right after i had a clutch installed and I've checked everywhere and can not find the exhaust hitting anywhere during idle. While inside the car it sounds like its right under the center console. if I crawl under the car i cant hear it. Could it be a Tranny mount? or motor mounts? I'm lost, please help...... Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Launching!

I dont know if you have long tubes or not but I had a similar problem. It turned out to be that one of my egr provisions fell off leaving a hole in my header. The damn thing sounded like a dump truck.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oneblackTA2000
I dont know if you have long tubes or not but I had a similar problem. It turned out to be that one of my egr provisions fell off leaving a hole in my header. The damn thing sounded like a dump truck.
Its like something hitting the floorboard or transmission tunnel near or in the center console area. I'll look into you idea but i've been through the whole exhaust and everything looks tight. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Maybe your trans mount has taken a crap, but I wouldn't think that it would be that severe.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Motor mounts very possible, but since you said after the clutch install I think a bolt has some loose.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Motor mounts very possible, but since you said after the clutch install I think a bolt has some loose.
I heard it right when i picked it up from having the clutch put in. I just figured it was the exhaust hitting like it has before after I've had work done. But I've always been able to locate where the noise was comming from. Are you refering to a bolt on the exhaust or Tranny?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JF-WS6
I heard it right when i picked it up from having the clutch put in. I just figured it was the exhaust hitting like it has before after I've had work done. But I've always been able to locate where the noise was comming from. Are you refering to a bolt on the exhaust or Tranny?
Bolt on the internal components. Exhaust shouldnt be hitting at idle.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Bolt on the internal components. Exhaust shouldnt be hitting at idle.
The noise goes away as soon as i hit the gas, it definately coincides with the rough idle of the car. if it were a loose bolt inside wouldnt you hear it all of the time?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JF-WS6
The noise goes away as soon as i hit the gas, it definately coincides with the rough idle of the car. if it were a loose bolt inside wouldnt you hear it all of the time?
Hmm, that is true. Got a video?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Found the problem. I have a UMI torque arm relocation bracket and the stubb (on the tranny) where the oem torque arm mounted on the transmisson was hitting the relocation bracket during idle. Im not sure why its hitting it now and not before the clutch install, its like the tranny is sitting a little lower. I squeezed a rubber washer between the two and the noise went away. now i just need to figure out what has changed for it to be hitting.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise during idle