General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

is my rack an pinion bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my rack an pinion bad?

im trying to get my car up to par after i was involved in a wreck. i was hit on the driver side front wheel and the wheel after the wreck was turned really far to the left (way further than it should be) while the passenger wheel was still straight and the steering wheel was straight also.

I replaced everything on the front with the insurance money i got with a full tubular front end. new spindles and wheel hubs. i did not touch the steering one bit i just bolted it up to the new k member and hoped it would drive good but so far not so good. when i drive the car the steering is really lose and when im turning, it seems as if the wheels dont turn parallel with each other. its really shakey up there to. when i hit bumps steering wheel moves everywhere. yes i had the car alignment done at a good shop and they got it straight but the steering wheel is still off so it makes me think maybe my rack an pinion is messed up. i have no clue
Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

how hard were you hit? With as light as they make things on newer cars I'd be willing to bet that almost everything got bent. I would take it to a gm dealer to have them check it out and they should be able to tell you what all is bent or broken.

If you question what a dealer tells you is bent or broken, they should have no problem letting you get under the car on a lift and the tech or the service adviser should show you, that way theres no doubt.

If you dont want to take it to a gm dealer, ask around or find a shop thats got some really good tech's (5 years experience or more) and have them look at it.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info. yeah the only two things that were bent was the driver upper control arm and the spindle everything else was good but i just replaced everything to be safe on the suspention part. i got hit when i was going through a green light by a lady turning without the green arrow i was cruisin around 40 saw here coming and all i could do was get on the brakes hard as i could so maybe we were both around 30-35 or so
Old 03-22-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like something happened inside the rack. inner and outer tie rods good??
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99345hp
Sounds like something happened inside the rack. inner and outer tie rods good??
Exactly. You need to take a good look at the tie rods and see if they are loose. If your steering is loose those could be a huge factor. I work at a shop and if someone came in with this problem, we would gladly show them what is bent/broken after we find it. So if you dont have the ability to check it out yourself, get to a repair facility immediately! You dont want to wait and have a tie rod break...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

they actually dont look so bad i looked at them when i took the steering rack off when i was installing my new k member but that shouldent mean anything i prob should replace them anyway.

its got to be the steering rack i cant think of anything else. ive inspected it but everythings else seems to be fine. im thinking about going down to autozone to buy a new rack and tie rods

here are some links. whats the difference between the two? one has firm handleing and the more expenceive one says without firm handleing.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=46-0

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=46-0
Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Check your Tie Rod Ends..couldv'e busted a Ball Joint. Grab the Tie Rod and shake it.

If they are bent I would replace them with the Moog Tie Rods from Orielly's. Same with the Ends..get them from Orielly's too.

Go to the Junkyard and find a new Rack if it gets that far..I got mine for $70.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

to check for loose steering or suspension parts.

grab the tire at 3 oclock and 9 oclock and shack back and forth. If there is any play it will be inner or outer tie rods or the rack and pinion unit.

grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock and shake up and down. This will check the bearing and an unloaded balljoint.

Take a decent length prybar and go between the lower control arm and the spindle right where they meet. Put pressure between the two and see if the ball joint moves inside its cup.

Also check the steering shaft for play.

I think that should cover everything.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99345hp
to check for loose steering or suspension parts.

grab the tire at 3 oclock and 9 oclock and shack back and forth. If there is any play it will be inner or outer tie rods or the rack and pinion unit.

grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock and shake up and down. This will check the bearing and an unloaded balljoint.

Take a decent length prybar and go between the lower control arm and the spindle right where they meet. Put pressure between the two and see if the ball joint moves inside its cup.

Also check the steering shaft for play.

I think that should cover everything.
Great post. im going to go out and shake the wheel. ball joints should be good they are all brand new also. ill let you guys know the outcome
Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would look at inner and outer tie rod ends on side you were hit. Take off protective boot and examine inner portion, and also check outer tie rod end. Like merv mentioned moog makes good oem style replacements, that are better than factory and have grease fittings. If you get them at orielly they have a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: is my rack an pinion bad?