General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

starter grinding on flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter grinding on flywheel

hey guys,

i just got a new lt1 mini starter -- for the 168 tooth flywheel. i have a 1996 4l60e on a 1996 impala ss motor. I know the flexplate was supposed to be 153 tooth, but autozone sold me the wrong one, and i didn't realize it was wrong til it was on.

anyways, i put the new starter on, and its grinding on the flywheel. it will engage for a second, and then grind grind grind. i put 3 shims on the starter and the same thing happened. do i need more shims? less?

any help would be appreciated...

thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check and see the contact of the gears, if you have a starter designed for a different flywheel tooth count, it may be that the teeth go in and cant turn because of the distance between the teeth being too much or too tight. If you are certain that you have the correct starter, try shimming a little more, or possibly another starter.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

i got a 168 tooth flywheel starter -- it has the staggered bolt holes to line up for the bigger plate. it bolts up, and like i said it comes into contact with the flywheel for a few cranks, and then it grinds, maybe a quick crank and then another grind. it seems like the gear isn't far enough towards the flexplate, but i'm not sure.

any ideas?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

My starter started grinding on the flywheel, then catch and turn on the car. so I checked it and one of the mounting points was broken, cause it to misalign. I since replaced it with a new one. so check underneath make sure nothing is broken.

Quick Reply: starter grinding on flywheel