General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter motor mount on block....broke.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
And this is just plain stupid too........the amount of threads on the new longer bolt that actually go into the starter mount on the block are identical to the older shorter bolt......so the clamping force is the same EINSTIEN........

Its the starter itself that was made stronger.

Why push the redesigned starter when the starter is not what's breaking? The head on the bolt is what clamps, so how can moving that further away from the block, make the block less prone to failure? The block flange is supported in both designs, so the truck starter accomplishes nothing.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Why push the redesigned starter when the starter is not what's breaking? The head on the bolt is what clamps, so how can moving that further away from the block, make the block less prone to failure? The block flange is supported in both designs, so the truck starter accomplishes nothing.
Not true.....the starter IS whats breaking. The block will never break if the starter does not break. In every case, the small tab (shorter bolt) side on the starter is what breaks. THEN....as a result of that small tab on the starter breaking, it allows the starter to torque away from the flywheel and that torque from the starter rips the outer block mount (longer bolt side) away and breaks it off. They always break the same, almost perfectly in half.

If the starter does not break where they keep breaking (the small inside tab) then the starter cannot pull away from the flywheel cause the other block mount to take all the stress from the torque of the starter. The bendix on the starter would simply fly out, hit the binded up flywheel, and stop. There would be no breakage because that inside, redesigned side of the starter is WAY TOO built up with aluminum. Its night and day difference.

All of the stress when the starter is engaged is a pulling force on that inside bolt, that outer bolt really has no stress comparitavely. It has stress of course but its really just an alignment bolt that keeps the starter lines up with the flywheel. That inside bolt is the master.

When I called my friend at Sheehan Pontiac to see what he can do for me to fix this, they said there's nothing they can do, they don't do that type of repair. He told me the reason they redesigned the starter is because they were replacing dozens and dozens of peoples blocks because of these broken starters...breaking the blocks when this little tab would break off the starter. The same thing someone mentioned on here in a post somwhere. Back in 1997 and 1998 with the new LS1's. Makes sense why they beefed up the starter. It cannot break away like that anymore because there's no way that part of the starter can break now, the starter cannot torque enough to do it, the starter will stop dead before it breaks now.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't seen where anyone said the starter was broken, only the block itself.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
HotSilverBird was saying that if the shorter bolt is loose, or if the starter breaks at the point where the shorter bolt goes, this will cause the starter to pull away, and with that force, the mounting point on the block where the longer bolt goes will snap off. The truck starter's mounting point is the same on both sides, so it doesn't have the weaker mounting point like the short bolt LS1 starter does. Since the truck starter has the beefier mounting point, it won't break and cause the problem.
I was thinking the same thing, 01ss, so I had to go back and reread through the thread. OP made it really confusing at the beginning cause he kept saying things like

Your confusing me for some reason.

The short side never broke. Just the long side mount broke. How would two equal length bolts change anything?
and

Why would it matter what length bolts are used, if the torque of the starter is there the block will break, like it did. And why would it matter if its a car starter or a truck starter....the block is what broke.
So all in all, I'd say it was a miscommunication because I didn't know you the starter broke until the 2nd page. This probably should have been mention in the initial post, but yea the truck starter should fix this. Along with properly tighten bolts of course.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sxracerb25
I was thinking the same thing, 01ss, so I had to go back and reread through the thread. OP made it really confusing at the beginning cause he kept saying things like

and

So all in all, I'd say it was a miscommunication because I didn't know you the starter broke until the 2nd page. This probably should have been mention in the initial post, but yea the truck starter should fix this. Along with properly tighten bolts of course.
Yup, took me a bit to understand why.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen where anyone said the starter was broken, only the block itself.
Go back and look at the picture I posted, you can see that the other mount tab on the starter is gone.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are yall two sisters? girlfriends? lovers?
Don't bother answering this IGNORANT ****! I say let the dumbasses of the world wonder why they can't fix their cars if they can't open their minds. Of course they always have some QUEER comment..

WHAT A ***!

Last edited by HotSilverBird; 05-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

bad day? on your period? chill out
Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

But have you now learned something new about the "old design" starter issue.....and WHY the new redesigned starter will eliminate the "broken block mount" problem????

Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned

**** you because of peckerheads like you i will no longer offer up any help...so everyone can thank this ******* for not getting any more help from me. I guess i better go change my panties....LMAO
Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned

But have you now learned something new about the "old design" starter issue.....and WHY the new redesigned starter will eliminate the "broken block mount" problem????

**** HIM AND **** YOU...i wouldsn't help you ******** again EVER! and i'm not blowing< haha smoke

**** YOU ALL...i'm sick of your child like BS ...go **** yerselfs ALL OF YOU ******* ********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I waste my ******* TIME trying help you PUSSIES and all i get is BS... no trhanks NOTHING

SO **** YOU **** YOU ALLL

EVERYONE GO **** YERSEKLFS!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
**** HIM AND **** YOU...i wouldsn't help you ******** again EVER! and i'm not blowing< haha smoke

**** YOU ALL...i'm sick of your child like BS ...go **** yerselfs ALL OF YOU ******* ********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I waste my ******* TIME trying help you PUSSIES and all i get is BS... no trhanks NOTHING

SO **** YOU **** YOU ALLL

EVERYONE GO **** YERSEKLFS!
Why are you pissed at me, I thanked you for your help and info earlier in this thread (post #40) once I understood why the truck starter solves this issue.

He's just having the same problem seeing the light.........

Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. what happened? I just came to check this updated thread and buy did the **** hit the fan. A post with good info sure turned fast. Only takes one dumbass

Hotsilverbird, I thanked ya bro many pages ago. You make it sound like the "bullet" Think I'm going to go there now

mark jr.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
wow. what happened? I just came to check this updated thread and buy did the **** hit the fan. A post with good info sure turned fast. Only takes one dumbass

Hotsilverbird, I thanked ya bro many pages ago. You make it sound like the "bullet" Think I'm going to go there now

mark jr.
Kind of wierd.........just snapped.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

Sorry i'm old and not feeling very well. pisses me off to watch idiots post up complete garbage and GAY comments when their minds are CLOSED.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

says the 2 month veteran with 70 posts
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

no end yto your complete ignorance...you must be the site jackass.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you take your meds today? I see you arent using as much profanity.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
Sorry i'm old and not feeling very well. pisses me off to watch idiots post up complete garbage and GAY comments when their minds are CLOSED.
Thats cool.........but no need to get on my ***. I had a little trouble understanding this starter issue thing in the beginning, but finally got it AND THANKED YOU for the help and the link to the good starter, which I bought and I'm using right now. Don't include me with other members. I've helped dozens and dozens of people here too over the years.

My info says May 2008, I've been here since 2003.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for the old thread bump but I too experienced this engine block starter failure.

Name:  broken_starter1.jpg
Views: 5088
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  broken_starter2.jpg
Views: 4439
Size:  143.9 KB

Name:  broken_starter3.jpg
Views: 3587
Size:  220.6 KB

From what I have read in this thread, you all have made a lot of sense. I can see how the truck starter has more mounting surface and thus, is stronger. Now the question for me is, what is the part number for the truck starter? The eBay links are no longer valid. This is a great idea. I'll be mounting this on a 2001 Corvette if that matters with the starter.