Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to replace passneger side window motor? 98 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace passneger side window motor? 98 trans am

How the heck do I replace this? My window will not go up, it will go down just a little bit...then wont go back up.

Do I replace the motor and regulator or just the motor?? Is there a writeup anywhere for this? I have no idea where to begin, besides popping the door panel off. I would appreciate any help!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor19.html

D'oh. Didnt search google.

But I am still not sure, at Autozone they offer the motor or the motor and regulator...which do I need?

I know I need the motor....which is this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=57-0

But, do I need this guy too?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=57-0

Last edited by TImmy_Jones; 03-28-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You just need the motor.

Oh, I would also recommend using shbox's method too, not the service manual method. Take it from someone who did it the hard way first on the driver side

One other thing - get the autotrix passenger window fix kit from ws6store (sponsor). I did that when my motor was struggling to make it to the top - and now it works better than new! Your motor might be too far gone if it can't make it too far, but it'll save the new motor. Plus it makes it operate faster due to having proper voltage.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

That autotrix kit seems like a huge PITA to wire up. Is it?

I will get the motor and drill out the rivets per the write-ups instructions. I may take some pics and post up some more if anyone needs them for the passenger side.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Eh, it isn't bad, but then, electrical stuff comes easy to me. I work with it all the time, I like electrical stuff. It was certainly worth it, saved me buying a new motor. Except, now I feel like I need to buy the more expensive driver side kit because that motor is so slow now in comparison

I've thought about just adapting the passenger side kit to work on the driver side and just eliminating the express down feature.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wires......yuck!!! Haha, I see a wiring schematic and want to run far, far away.

Ill just do the motor swap and report back. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Insert a stick of dynamite in passenger door panel, light and run far, far away very fast. Fixes the problem of the window motor!! JK. I did it on the drivers side. My passenger side needs it now. But I don't want to. They can't make me do it again. Please. It's scary. Especially when that damn big spring falls all the way off and I didn't even know it was there. Have fun. Best of luck to you. I do not envy you.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

im having the same problem, my window go up slowly! so i have 2 replace the motor?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

Just get a MONKEY to do it!! LOL Very easy to do just put a motor in it .
Old 03-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Launching!

It is very easy to do. Only took about a 1/2 hour to do. Just get the motor.

Here is a link. The motor is held on by three rivets. Just take a 7/8" holesaw because it makes a nice clean hole and drill into the inner body panel to expose the rivets. The picture in this link he did a sloppy job with the holes.

http://www.myls1.com/cmps_index.php?...torreplacement
Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98ZEMT
Insert a stick of dynamite in passenger door panel, light and run far, far away very fast. Fixes the problem of the window motor!! JK. I did it on the drivers side. My passenger side needs it now. But I don't want to. They can't make me do it again. Please. It's scary. Especially when that damn big spring falls all the way off and I didn't even know it was there. Have fun. Best of luck to you. I do not envy you.

Which spring should I look out for? EVeryone else says its easy...I wanna know the tough parts, haha. Could you explain any more?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Launching!

There is a spring, on the back side of regulator, I think its an assist spring to help the window go up. It's a weird spiral thing. If it doesn't fall out, its ok. Mine fell out. I don't know exactly how, but it did. I spent a week taking the door panel out and thinking I got the spring back in right only to have it fall back out. I finally got it. But it was a bear. Other than that pretty easy. Make sure you get the right rivets too. I used bolts but it was a bear too trying to stick your hand in there with a wrench to hold the nuts while you turn a ratchet. It would have been easier with the rivets.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

The only way it can fall out is if you screw around with the entire regulator.

Also, I used a 1/2" drill bit to expose the motor rivets. a 7/8" hole saw is unnecessary.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Launching!

To each there own but trying to put the 8/32" screws in, 7/8" hole makes it a alot easier and keeps from having to touch that fiberglass
Old 04-02-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the write-up I used, and I felt it was a bit more helpful than the link provided earlier:

http://www.myls1.com/showthread.php?...r-Installation

The install isn't bad at all.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Well, looks like I gotta join the club. Mine was moving slow and kinda stopped working today. I have to wait a couple of minutes and it would only move 1/2" at a time before i would have to let it sit for a second to make it move again. The driver motor was replaced right before I got the car, and it works fine. Ughh...oh well.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Red face

Does anyone know if you can use the autotrix passenger door fix, on the drivers side. i need to replace both my window motors and i would like to use this kit i just dont want to spend the 100+ bucks on the driver side one. i really dont care if my drivers side window has the express feature or not. just want them to operate faster.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

i had a question on this, does this clear up the goes down form the driver side but not up and while it doesnt go up on the drivers side but goes up from the passenger side problem? cause thats whats been acting up with mine for some time. i switched out the passenger side switch panel but that didnt help. does the same thing. Im at the point where im just gonna replace the passenger side motor and go form there.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

might want to check the bcm (the one under the passenger airbag and about passenger kick panel. Open it up and see if the solder has broke somewhere in the board. Theres a thread about this with specifics. I don't think its the window motor but if you do this just make sure you are removeing the "correct" bolts, very important! Good luck.

Quick Reply: How to replace passneger side window motor? 98 trans am