General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New FLT tranny installed stange problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New FLT tranny installed stange problems.

So i had a shop install new FTL tranny and SS3600 stall. As well as replace plugs wires and oil pan gasket. So today I get a call from the mechanic. Oil pressure gauge is showing no pressure at idle but with a little throttle it jumps to normal level. (from what ive read on here it sounds like an Oil Sending Unit Sensor) Also fluid is leaking from water pump gasket. Could any of these problems be related to the work done by the shop? I am unable to work on the car or id try and tackle some these problems. I live 2000 miles away from my car. Transmission was replaced for me to pick up and drive to where i now live. So with the problems that car has now, while the shop is doing the water pump gasket, is it worth it to just have them replace the oil pump as well? (car has 119k miles not sure if its original oil pump) Also what do you guys think is a fair price to pay to have the OPSU replaced? Oil pump replaced? Water pump gasket replaced? Any help is appreciated.

Thank You.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They broke your oil sending unit (sensor). its very very common when tranny's are worked on. Its right behind the intake and the intake must come off to replace it. Tell them they must pay to replace it. Don't change the oil pump, its probably fine. Unless they installed the oil pump, then it could be a crimped o-ring when they put the oil pump in, also very common, and that will mess with your oil pressure for real. A broken oil sending unit just gives you false readings on the guage. So if they did the oil pump they need to take it out and install it properly, again at their expense.

If the water pump gasket is leaking....well, you need to have it replaced.

OPSU costs about $40.00, might find one on ebay or at Amazon. It takes about 2 hours to replace.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by alucero258
So i had a shop install new FTL tranny and SS3600 stall. As well as replace plugs wires and oil pan gasket. So today I get a call from the mechanic. Oil pressure gauge is showing no pressure at idle but with a little throttle it jumps to normal level. (from what ive read on here it sounds like an Oil Sending Unit Sensor) Also fluid is leaking from water pump gasket. Could any of these problems be related to the work done by the shop? I am unable to work on the car or id try and tackle some these problems. I live 2000 miles away from my car. Transmission was replaced for me to pick up and drive to where i now live. So with the problems that car has now, while the shop is doing the water pump gasket, is it worth it to just have them replace the oil pump as well? (car has 119k miles not sure if its original oil pump) Also what do you guys think is a fair price to pay to have the OPSU replaced? Oil pump replaced? Water pump gasket replaced? Any help is appreciated.

Thank You.
So did they put a mechanical gauge on it to check oil pressure?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Where do you connect a mechanical gauge to check pressure?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Where do you connect a mechanical gauge to check pressure?
Well normally you screw the gauge to where the oil pressure sending unit goes or you use the gauge that replace's the filter itself. I have both, your mechanic should be able to tell you all of this If you want give me his number and I can give him a call and see whats going on.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

What would be a sign for me to know that the OPSU was damaged by the shop?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Its physically broken...
Old 04-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When mine broke it was still sitting in place and looked fine. I had to grab it and move it, then it came right off. They can be pushed on or bumped into quite lightly and they will snap internally but they can stll look ok visually.