General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wheel fell off while moving, now it clunks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel fell off while moving, now it clunks!

Basically, the lug nuts were only a thread or two deep. I didn't know this. My wheel came off the studs, but not out from under the car completely. May have been going 15-20 mph. There was a SLIGHT clunk that i could hear every now and then, but nothing major. It sounded like maybe the brakes or something was loose and knocking. AFTER the wheel coming off, now it clunks loud and all the time. It honestly sounds and feels like the wheel is on crooked. WHat could this be? I think it has to be something that was already wrong, that this little incident worsened! Do you think it could just be a crooked stud since they took most of the weight of the car? What should i look for here? Replace the hub assembly? I'm a n00b when it comes to suspension so take that into account please!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Most likely a bad bearing. . . Or a busted ball joint.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Check your ball joint and bearing.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, strange turn of events. Last night my cousin came over, hes a very goods mechanic, he used to drag race semi-professionally. We took the car for a short ride, here are our observations
1) NO noise until the car turns right, as if turning activates it but only right.
2)LOUD squeak as if something were sticking out and hitting the disc or rim itself.
3) NOT FROM the side that the wheel fell off! Couldnt believe this one, but its the passenger side making all that noise even though the drivers side is the one that fell off! So i guess really it doesnt have anything to do with that after all!

So we decided to take the car home immediately becuase it sounded so bad. Once we got home, we jacked up the car. Got the car in the air. ROtated the wheel, and not a single noise. It was smooooth and quiet, like a brand new car, except for a little brake wear since they are brand spanking new. we turn the wheel right, no noises at all. Turned the wheel left, still nothing. Shook the steering wheel back and forth violently and nothing at all, no clunk, no squeak, nothing but smooth and precise movements!!! So WTF!!!!!! It MUST have something to do with the strut right? I mean the ONLY difference here is that the car was in the air under no load! WTF!!!! My cousin builds race cars, and hes baffled!

If it was my ball joint or bearing as you guys suggest, would it stop after raising the car?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Well it doesn't have a load so its possible but if he builds race cars he should know how to check ball joints and a bearing, also he should realize a right turn loads your driver side bearing, making the noise very audible.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by THE SHOP
Well it doesn't have a load so its possible but if he builds race cars he should know how to check ball joints and a bearing, also he should realize a right turn loads your driver side bearing, making the noise very audible.
Right but the sound is coming from the passenger side, the wheel NOT under a load correct? Hes coming back today to look at it, he was kinda drunk last night but i figured people on this forum are VERY knowledgeable and i could get good info. Turning right loads the drivers side wheel, the noise is coming from the passenger wheel. I think ill take a video if me and my cousin cant figure it out.

Also last night i think he was counting on it being a Tie Rod, or something protruding from the brakes. It sounds like something is sticking out and hitting with every revolution. But there's nothing out of place, we looked! So weird.

Last edited by evilZO6; 04-01-2010 at 04:38 PM.