General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loud Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Loud Pinging

my car pings pretty badly under acceleration. i have always put in 93 octane. im thinking it could be the plugs but im also hearing what sounds like a mini deisel in cylinder 2
Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With your post count im sure youve heard of piston slap....but is this pinging happening all the time or just on a cold motor?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Getting any codes/SES? Have you checked for excessive knock retard? Or watched for misfires on Cyl. #2? All that stuff requires a scanner of coruse....
Old 04-04-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

its on a completely warmed up engine also. when i changed my oil today, under the filler cap, there was an orange buildup on the tube. i didnt have a chance to get under the valve cover to see if it was covering everything. there was also no metal shavings in the oil, thank god. i believe that there is some condensation getting in there somehow.
im getting headers on in about a month so i guess when i get it tuned they will tell me if something is wrong.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by my bandit
its on a completely warmed up engine also. when i changed my oil today, under the filler cap, there was an orange buildup on the tube. i didnt have a chance to get under the valve cover to see if it was covering everything. there was also no metal shavings in the oil, thank god. i believe that there is some condensation getting in there somehow.
im getting headers on in about a month so i guess when i get it tuned they will tell me if something is wrong.
Do you have any exhaust rattles? Food for thought: I once thought I had some pining but it turned out that my rear 02 sensors were loose and rattling around. They would rattle a little at idle, and then sometimes under WOT. Fixed it by clamping them down.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

you dont have a hand held tune do you, i ask because i was having the same problem with my car and it turned out that who ever had the car before me put one of those stupid hand held tunes in the car and it kills your timing. i had the dealer flash it back to oem tune and problem solved.