General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsolved mystery!!! 01 z28 problem plz help!!!!

I know this post probably has been posted a million times, or maybe i am in the wrong post thread.. but take a look, i bet you'll have no answer either!

Alright so i just uncovered my password for LS1tech over the pile of dust since 05' lol and haven't had any problems with my car since (that'd be a big lie)! But this one has seemed to STUMP! and i mean STUMP everyone i come into contact with, or ask... Mechanics with 25-30yrs experience, FORGET IT! Starter & alternator repairs, nothing! Auto part stores, ha joke.. Even wal-mart! imagine that! You name it! I've asked!! Now i am coming to you guy's.. THE BEST AROUND!!

The problem: 01 Z28 will not start!!! Starter is good, car turns over... I have been jobless for a year so my car has just sat for months at a time, back in Dec. of 09' it would take bout 3-4 cranks to start, then 5-8 cranks, then just went dead!
Solution: NOT FOUND!
Results: I have tried everything man, from charging my 4-5 yr old Red top optima battery, having it tested at wal-mart (good battery). To having a friend run a diagnostics with his 10k Snap-on computer to find the problem, nothing throwed or gave there! So i ripped out the alternator and had it tested, needed a new regulator, replaced it, and still won't start!!!! Dude i am stranded and do not know what to do! Please help!

IS IT THE FUEL PUMP???

End result: MY CAR IS HAUNTED!!!
Only thing i haven't tried is handing my baby over to a Chevy dealership and having them charge me out the A-hole!!! NO FUN!!!!

Please help.. The big car show ROD RUNS in Pigeon Forge, TN is next week, I would love to have it up and running by then! I appreciate every comment or concern! THANKS
-Trey

P.S. I AM DESPERATE lol
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Fuel pump is a good place to start. Put a gauge on it.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel, Spark and Air...Need those.

Grab a Fuel PSI gauge and slap it on the rail and check for Fuel PSI, not sure sure what LS1s are but my LT1 holds 41-43 then slowly bleeds off after that. Not sure how to check the coils for spark, but im sure someone will chime in on that.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

double post...lulz
Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Well my car wouldn't start with under 12.3 volts of charge, but would with 12.6 volts going to that monster of a computer system that drains the dang battery!! So we have tapped the MAF sensor.. started right up, did it again, and nothing... charged the battery, starts up, tried it again with it charged, and nothing???? WTF MAN!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

WTH i posted here be4 wtf happened lol anyway so ur telling me u can fire her up with 12.6 charge?? u get idle?...if u get spark its really a mystery but if u dont get any spark then am guessing its your cranck sensor good luck with ur car and check ur fuel pump first then check for a spark by unpluging one of the spark plugs cable then add any plug u have around...i did that be4 i duno if theres any other way to check that..good luck again
Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

yea lol dude i posted like 8 of these suckers... im really stumped, im pretty sure its got spark, i kno its got air, and fuel!!! so wtf man? idk.. if its started up before, then it has all 3.. u kno??
Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

man u cant say ur sure! lool u cant b sure without checking! if it has air fuel and spark it MUST work at least jst for a sec! so check ur fuel pressure then check for a spark...do it ur self its easy..i know how this feels lol gd luck
Old 04-07-2010, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

dude but i dnt hav a fuel psi gauge, and i looked online, they want like $100+ for one!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

I bought my fuel gauge for much less than that. On the other hand you can hear when a fuel pump kicks on. When you turn the key to the on position (door and ears open) listen for the 2-5 sec fuel pump prime.

I had a v-6 3rd gen that had staring issues like what you described. It would take 3-4 tries to start, turned out to be a bad ignition coil. Check for spark.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks David!

But this is exactly why I don't waist my time on these stupid *** forums, because of these ******* smart ***, ignorant, bastards that think they know "EVERYTHING" and don't even wanna help! Unlike David and the rest that was actually useful, I am ****** tired of u *** holes!!! Yet i don't understand you, do u wake up pissing excellence? **** NO!! You R just as human as the rest of us! So shut the **** up, and answer the ? politely, or don't say a dam word *****! bcuz no1 gives a **** bout ur smart *** mouth! ********!

HAVE A GOOD DAY
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Oh yea, and bros inc... obviously there wouldn't be a rat that chewed through my intake filter and jammed up in my maf... hahahaha even tho that is a little far-fetched??? and extreme... but ANYWAYS! If you didn't notice in the picture.. which i wouldn't expect you to be that observant.. that it's a Clear Lid Intake.. so you'd think i'd find a big fat rat that climbed up its *** named bro! thx!

GOT EM'!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

As others have said, possibly crank sensors. My 01 Z28 had both of them go bad cause something was shorting them out. Guess some mechanics know and some don't, first one I went to said take it to the dealer. It sat at the dealer for a month and they couldn't figure it out. I took it to a place that specializes in LSX engines, and they got it fixed for a while by replacing the sensors, but they didn't test for the short I guess and they both went bad again.
Then I took it to some local performance mechanic shop, I already figured it was the crank sensors again but I didn't tell them, wanted to see what they said.
Dude came up with the crank sensors being bad and they were being shorted, got it all fixed and has been fine since. Was a major PITA, some days car would start fine, others not at all, just crank endlessly until the battery was drained.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
Thanks David!

But this is exactly why I don't waist my time on these stupid *** forums, because of these ******* smart ***, ignorant, bastards that think they know "EVERYTHING" and don't even wanna help! Unlike David and the rest that was actually useful, I am ****** tired of u *** holes!!! Yet i don't understand you, do u wake up pissing excellence? **** NO!! You R just as human as the rest of us! So shut the **** up, and answer the ? politely, or don't say a dam word *****! bcuz no1 gives a **** bout ur smart *** mouth! ********!

HAVE A GOOD DAY

Wow, i think your post speaks for itself. What a joke

Maybe if you would spend your time researching on ways to troubleshoot your car and actually doing it instead of whining online and getting butthurt when somebody provides some REAL solutions and not just suggestions of what it could be, you could fix it.

Grow up.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
Thanks David!

HAVE A GOOD DAY
Your sig name speaks for itself. You obviously don't have enough experience with diagnosing cars to make any of this worth while. You say you have good fuel but you haven't put a gauge on it And judging by your attitude on this forum I have a feeling all your "mechanics" with 30 years experience are just blowing you off if your attitude to them is anything like it was on this post. They probably don't want to give you the time of day. I will give you the best advice you can receive since you have no clue what you are doing yet disrespecting everyone here who is trying to help: Take your car to the Dealer and get it fixed. By the time you chase your tail a million times around, replacing random parts without really knowing what's wrong, you could have it fixed cheaper by taking it in.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

I've seen some attitudes before, but this is epic. Someone here is in serious need of a plexicotomy.

Basic Troubleshooting 101:
1. TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED.
2. LISTEN TO PEOPLE THAT KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO.
3. KISS (keep it simple, stupid)
4. Start with the obvious and simple to do things....LIKE CHECKING YOUR FUEL PUMP. If you don't verify that it's working, then you're only guessing. Up to you if you like wasting time and money.
5. Do things in a logical order, using process of elimination. Go from one SYSTEM to the next. Eliminate all possibilities in ONE system before going to the next.

6. Speak english. This isn't a phone, and you aren't sending a text message. Important points can and will be lost because of misinterpretation, or if you're an old fart like me don't want to take the time to go look up all the texting abreviations.

7. DON'T **** IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD. People here are glad to help...providing you don't come off like a petulant child.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
I've seen some attitudes before, but this is epic. Someone here is in serious need of a plexicotomy.

4. Start with the obvious and simple to do things....LIKE CHECKING YOUR FUEL PUMP. If you don't verify that it's working, then you're only guessing. Up to you if you like wasting time and money.
5. Do things in a logical order, using process of elimination. Go from one SYSTEM to the next. Eliminate all possibilities in ONE system before going to the next.

6. Speak english. This isn't a phone, and you aren't sending a text message. Important points can and will be lost because of misinterpretation, or if you're an old fart like me don't want to take the time to go look up all the texting abreviations.

7. DON'T **** IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD. People here are glad to help...providing you don't come off like a petulant child.
You sir said what many of us here were thinking...the OP needs to take his car to a good shop and they cam fix it for him....I doubt if he will ever do it on his own...people have given him a path to follow to find out what his problem is but he does nothing except show his azz to all those who try to help him.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont feel like reading the whole thread but.....

since its a stick, try and pop (roll) start it (you know what that is right?). if it wont do that, then its probably a good idea to keep looking at fuel issues. fuses are also a cheap thing to look at.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

LOL!! More of my FANS reporting there smartass remarks.. or BIGSHOTS as u call it.. let em all come join in on this.. see if i care man.. if u don't give 2 ***** to help, and there are guys on here that can be smartasses.. (this lil child didn't start **** to begin with anyways) and this thread really pisses u off? THEN DON'T READ IT AND HIT THE LITTLE BACK BUTTON IN THE TOP LEFT HAND CORNER!!

Is that too much slang for u pops?

Last edited by SSrookiekid; 04-08-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fleetmgr

And you guys are talking about slang??? You spelled the word plexectomy wrong as well LMAO! I need to grab my owners manual as much as you do a dictionary my friend! Or maybe you all should start reading up on SLANG! like it had been mentioned...