General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TA would turn over but it won't start. Anyone have any ideas of what it might be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA would turn over but it won't start. Anyone have any ideas of what it might be?

I need help on my 1983 Trans am. I got the car it was running but just thought i'll do the tune up and that way I know it be running just right. So got new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter and oil charge. And before that the fuel pump had gone out so got that replace too. I was driving to on the freeway kinda hard (as in speeding) got to town pump gas (was in Empty already) the car turned on fine well I go to walmart was in the for like 45 mins I come out and it never started after that. My 1st thought was the fuel pump since I was driving fast with harly any gas so I start taking the gas tank off but I decide to see if the car would turn on if I put starter fluid in the carbs and nothing so I must not be geting any spark. Can any one help on my problem?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You would be better off going to www.thirdgen.org that site is 82-92 F-body specific
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pimpinpaco
I need help on my 1983 Trans am. I got the car it was running but just thought i'll do the tune up and that way I know it be running just right. So got new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter and oil charge. And before that the fuel pump had gone out so got that replace too. I was driving to on the freeway kinda hard (as in speeding) got to town pump gas (was in Empty already) the car turned on fine well I go to walmart was in the for like 45 mins I come out and it never started after that. My 1st thought was the fuel pump since I was driving fast with harly any gas so I start taking the gas tank off but I decide to see if the car would turn on if I put starter fluid in the carbs and nothing so I must not be geting any spark. Can any one help on my problem?
HAve you check to see if your cap and rotor is loose?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by THE SHOP
HAve you check to see if your cap and rotor is loose?
yea I did they are in there good. It ran good after the tune up
Old 04-07-2010, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Right so you rechecked the rotor? Did you adjust timing? Ignition coil have spark?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Teching In

well at 1st it was over heating and I make
de sure the timing was right on it as in checkin my firing order and I made sure that was right. It ran fine for a while and that's wend it just quit on me wend I checked the firing order the rotor turned but I need 2 make sur it still does (i think it does turn but need to double check.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Teching In

well I tryed working on the car and I checked and my rotor it's working it's turning, I didn't see no fuel go in the carbs tho, I tryed putting starer fuild throw them and it didn't do nothin so I don't think I aint getting fuel or spark.