General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Pump

So after owning my 02 WS6 for a week, the water pump is leaking like a **** and obviously needs to be replaced. Smells like coolant bad after I drive it for a bit. So do I replace it with a OEM pump or do I upgrade to an Electric? Not a DD but I want something reliable.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
So after owning my 02 WS6 for a week, the water pump is leaking like a **** and obviously needs to be replaced. Smells like coolant bad after I drive it for a bit. So do I replace it with a OEM pump or do I upgrade to an Electric? Not a DD but I want something reliable.
are you sure its the pump and not the gaskets? these engines are known for the gaskets blowing out. i would pressure test the system to verify the leak.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Electric sounds less reliable than engine-driven to me.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
are you sure its the pump and not the gaskets? these engines are known for the gaskets blowing out. i would pressure test the system to verify the leak.
Well I actually can't be a 100% sure it's the pump. I jumped to conclusion. I've actually got it scheduled for a pressure test tomorrow. The car only has 27k original miles on it so I find it hard to believe it's the pump already....but then again anything is possible. So if this is a common issue with the gaskets, is there a better gasket avail for these over the one it comes stock with?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I actually can't be a 100% sure it's the pump. I jumped to conclusion. I've actually got it scheduled for a pressure test tomorrow. The car only has 27k original miles on it so I find it hard to believe it's the pump already....but then again anything is possible. So if this is a common issue with the gaskets, is there a better gasket avail for these over the one it comes stock with?
make sure you get the aluminum carrier gaskets(o-ring),which came equipped on all 99+ fbody water pumps and not the pre(97-98) paper gaskets. i had the same thing happen to my camaro,it only had 30k on it(35k now).the right side water pump gasket would leak after sitting in storage all winter and then would seal back up after i took it out and drove it but still seaped so i replaced both gaskets last year and has been good since. i only drive mine 3k a year so it sits alot so i think that is why mine started to leak. i would put my money on the gaskets,be leary though cause the technician may try to sell you a pump even though its just the gasket.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

Will do buddy. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will do buddy. Thanks for the info.
sure thing,let me know what you find.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace the gaskets first and see if that fixes it...these cars are known to leak at the WP gasket...it is much less expensive to replace the gaskets than the water pump..