General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Got a couple ?s about my '02 Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a couple ?s about my '02 Z

So I decided to post this to hopefully find some answers about the noises I noticed my 2002 Z28 is making. I haven't gotten much of a chance to look at any of these so even obvious suggestions are appreciated before i start digging in there.

The first is a squeaking that is coming from the right front suspension when the car bounces up and down, whether the car is moving or not. It sounds like it is coming from up higher so I don't think it is the sway bar bushings/end links.

The second is a clunking coming from underneath the car, which decreases with vehicle speed, when coming to a stop. Both brakes applied and in gear or not does not affect the noise. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but it's almost like small stones rattling around in a plastic cup.

The other thing I was interested in finding out about is the window motors. My passenger window is on its way out and I have the door panel off currently. Well, I saw that some people drill through the door panel to remove the motor and since I'm not particularly thrilled with that idea, I see there are rivets coming through the door skin (which apparently hold the bracket that the window motor is riveted to, to the door). My question is, can I drill these rivets out, remove the motor and bracket, and then drill the rivets that hold the motor to the bracket after the whole assembly is out of the door so I can avoid drilling holes in my door?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, on the window.

The GM way to service the window motor is to remove and replace the entire window motor/regulator assembly (the bracket you're talking about), so yes, that is an option. I drilled my door, because I didn't want to deal with the alignment issues that are a problem if you remove the regulator. The holes you drill are 1/2" and are in no way structural or cosmetic. Here's a good write up with pictures:
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

On the sqeak:

Diagnosing sounds over the internet is tough, but here's what I'd do. I start by lubing the sway bar bushings since they're easy to get to, and what'll it hurt? Then if the sound didn't go away I would travel up the suspension one spot at a time with some spray grease untill I could make the squeak stop. Once I found the culprit, repair, tighten, replace as needed.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

On the clunk:

I'm afraid I won't be too much help on this,
Can you describe it with any more detail? What do you mean it decreases with speed? Does it only happen at a certian speed? Is it a (clunk, clunk, clunk), (pop, pop, pop) or (tink, tink tink)? Where under the car? I'd check my exhaust for rattles, knocks and my driveshaft u-joints for any play.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

For the clunk, i was having the same problem for a while... i put a new tranny mount on. so when i took off the old one, it came apart in two pieces. fixed the clunk and now im squeling going in to second when i get on it.... check the tranny mount for sure
Old 04-16-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

tranny mounts split in half all the time.........mine did
Old 04-17-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

I hope its my tranny mount. I;ll be putting on a poly mount soon with headers. I have the SAME clunk coming to a stop. comes from the centre under the rear of the car when slowing to a stop or rolling very slow. SOunds to me like its my rear diff on its way out OR a bad u joint. i'm hoping its a U joint.