General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what maintennance to do with new car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what maintennance to do with new car

I just bought a 2001 SS automatic convertible with 15,000 miles and was wondering if anything needed to be done maintennance wise to a car that is 9 years old and has so few miles. Car was driven, but not much. I have already changed oil and filter and will be draining/ flushing coolant this weekend. Anything else recommended?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it was me I would change all the fluids. like tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid. All this is relatively inexpensive and good to get clean fresh fluid in.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

yeah, i thought about that. tranny and brake fluid I'll probably do. Don't think rear grease would have any issues just from sitting. thanks for reply. anymore suggestions from anyone?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

change your fuel and air filters.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn those are very low miles!! I would replace all fluids with fresh fluid for sure.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Teching In

does car have an external fuel filter or just a filter in the tank?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

There's an external filter http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Teching In

okay. i've changed engine oil, in the process of flushing coolant, and I'll try to get fuel filter done this week. Air filter is a new K&N. I'll do brake fluid flush soon as well. I think I'll wait a little on tranny fluid. May install new converter and then I can do full tranny change at that time.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3rtfan
okay. i've changed engine oil, in the process of flushing coolant, and I'll try to get fuel filter done this week. Air filter is a new K&N. I'll do brake fluid flush soon as well. I think I'll wait a little on tranny fluid. May install new converter and then I can do full tranny change at that time.
If I were you I would clean the K&N they usually over oil them from the factory. For the trans fluid just drop the pan and change the filter. Also your rear end gear oil probably needs attention. Get a Fel Pro gasket and take the cover off. Let it drain, clean it out really good inside, put the cover back on with the gasket dry, add a jig of limited slip additive, and fill with GL-5.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
If I were you I would clean the K&N they usually over oil them from the factory. For the trans fluid just drop the pan and change the filter. Also your rear end gear oil probably needs attention. Get a Fel Pro gasket and take the cover off. Let it drain, clean it out really good inside, put the cover back on with the gasket dry, add a jig of limited slip additive, and fill with GL-5.
I'm looking to do this soon. What would you define as a JIG? of limited slip additive....

thx
Old 04-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Teching In

I thinking he meant jug. Just one tube of additive is all that I've ever used in anything. Then top off with correct gear oil.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Change all the fluids and KEEP doing this at their service intervals most people don't have the chance to do this because they buy these vehicles with much more miles.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

I'd give this K&N filter to someone I didn't like. They will flow a good bit of air, but they are several percent less efficient at filtering than a paper element. That directly translates into more dirt that you are pumping through your engine. I can buy a whole shitpot full of standard air filters for the price of an early overhaul caused by the extra abrasion in the cylinders and dirt circulating with the oil from those few percent.

You can flow air, or you can get the dirt out of it. They don't both happen at the same time.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You shouldn't wait on the tranny fluid.....thats an expensive drivetrain component....and its so damn cheap to do. If you get a converter later, just out it in and replace the fluid. The new filter can stay.

And you really wasted your money on that K&N air filter.....all they do is damage your engine, keeps the MAF dirty with a film of the K&N oil which gradually over days, weeks and months...covers the MAF sensors with a thin coating and decreases your perfomance, and its a pain in the *** to have to clean, re-oil, let dry, etc.....

A paper filter BLOWS the K&N away for engine protection........and there is no way on gods green earth that the K&N will make the car perform any better, its total horseshit.

There's a TON of hilarious, garbage products out there......ask before you buy anything.

Last edited by LS6427; 04-20-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Teching In

No need to slam me on the K&N. It came with the car. Previous owner just put it in car. It has less than 500 miles on it and still looks brand new. I'm not a complete idiot, just new to the LS1's, so I asked you guys for opinions on what you thought would be needed. I'm a Mopar dude, but they haven't made a V8 convertible that working class people can afford since the 70's. Would love to have a 'Cuda, but no chance of that. It will be a while on the converter, so I am going to do tranny fluid asap. Thanks to all those that have replied.

LS6427-I was thinking about getting a Tornado and Hypertech tuner, and wanted to ask you before I bought anything.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No need to slam me on the K&N. It came with the car. Previous owner just put it in car. It has less than 500 miles on it and still looks brand new. I'm not a complete idiot, just new to the LS1's, so I asked you guys for opinions on what you thought would be needed. I'm a Mopar dude, but they haven't made a V8 convertible that working class people can afford since the 70's. Would love to have a 'Cuda, but no chance of that. It will be a while on the converter, so I am going to do tranny fluid asap. Thanks to all those that have replied.

LS6427-I was thinking about getting a Tornado and Hypertech tuner, and wanted to ask you before I bought anything.
Your original post just sounded big time newbie to everything..........

The Tornado...I've only heard good things.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's not slamming you, he's giving you great advice. This site is full of guys that know everything about LS1's.

As far as maintenence, you should also change your belts. They go bad just from age, and if you lose the main drive belt, you're stranded.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Teching In

No problem guys. I intend to do all the fluids changes. Just have to get time to do it. I guess the first post did sound like a newbie. I was basically seeing if there was anything specifically with these cars that needed attention that I wasn't aware of since I am new to these cars. I notice right of the bat that the cars are very noisy. I know the LS engines are noisy, but the car also has alot of interior squeaks and rattles. I ordered SFC's to try to help with some of this. Also, rear suspension bushings make alot of noise until car is driven a few miles. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

And everybody wears cowboy hats!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you should be good to go. Nice buy on the low mileage!!! Take care of it and should last you awhile. Is this going to be a weekend warrior or DD??