General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trouble turning over engine

Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble turning over engine

I own a 2000 WS6 with 85000 miles that's bone stock and lately I've been having issues with the car turning over. It's done it in the past a few times but here in the last month it's done it to me about 4 times. Basically when I try to start the car it cranks fine but doesnt want to start until about the 3rd time trying. The lights do not dim nor does the engine sound like its trying to die down, it just doesnt want to fire up. It has an optima red top battery that's about 4 years old, I replaced that fuel filter about 3 years ago, I've run seafoam through the car about once a year so my guess would be that maybe the fuel pump is starting to crap out being it's 10 years old. I thought I'd post my issue here and maybe more of you have a better idea on the issue. Also, the car has a viper remote start system on it altho that may not having anything to do with it. Any advise would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in hearing what the rest of you have to say because my 2002 Z28 does the same thing, except it's only got 30,000 miles on it. A lot of times it will crank on the first try but won't start, so I stop, and then it fires right up when I turn the key a second time.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Fuel pressure is dropping most likely, if you go to Autozone they should have a fuel pressure gauge kit. On the front of your fuel rail there is a cap you remove it and screw on the gauge. Turn your key to the on position and see if it holds fuel pressure. If it bleeds down then you are done
Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoked_WS6
I own a 2000 WS6 with 85000 miles that's bone stock and lately I've been having issues with the car turning over. It's done it in the past a few times but here in the last month it's done it to me about 4 times. Basically when I try to start the car it cranks fine but doesnt want to start until about the 3rd time trying. The lights do not dim nor does the engine sound like its trying to die down, it just doesnt want to fire up. It has an optima red top battery that's about 4 years old, I replaced that fuel filter about 3 years ago, I've run seafoam through the car about once a year so my guess would be that maybe the fuel pump is starting to crap out being it's 10 years old. I thought I'd post my issue here and maybe more of you have a better idea on the issue. Also, the car has a viper remote start system on it altho that may not having anything to do with it. Any advise would be great. Thanks.
Around $10.00 and 10 minutes of your time is what it takes to change the fuel filter.....there's no reason to let it go for 3 years. You should change them every year at least. Too cheap and easy not to.
A dirty fuel filter could possibly be your problem.

But certainly check your fuel pressure as mentioned. Change the fuel filter regardless, its way overdue.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

I vote for the fuel pump failing. Check your fuel pressure as the guys previously stated, change your fuel filter. If the problem is still there it's time to get a new pump. Same exact symptoms happened to me at about 95k.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Teching In

It's been a few months but I'll post the fix for my problem. I replaced the fuel pump and filter but was still having the same issue. So I decided to go ahead and replace the plugs and wires and I could not believe how black my plugs were so needless to say the car has been running amazing since then and not a single issue.

Search this Thread