General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Security light on LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light on LS1 Camaro

Guys, I've had a look through some of the posts on here and from what I can make out it looks like I probably need a new ignition lock cylinder for my 2001 Z28. But, before I go ahead and order one I'd like to run what's happening past you.

A couple of days ago I was driving and noticed the Security light was on - this is the first time I'd seen it and have not had any problems starting the car. The next time I started the engine up the security light was on again, but then went off after a minute or two. Again no issues with actually starting the car.

The next day (yesterday) the engine failed to start on the first turn of the key (didn't even crank...nothing at all), but then fired up as normal on the second attempt. The Security light came on again and has not gone off since. It remains constantly lit...no flashing.

From what I've read so far, I'm thinking that the security system is now in 'fault enable mode' (must have last failed after the engine was started) and that I therefore won't have any issues starting the engine, but it means that the anti-theft system is now basically non-functioning and that the 'Security' light will remain on until I do something about it.

My options seems to be buying and fitting a new lock cylinder (that seems to be where the wires come loose), fitting the correct value resistor into the circuit under the dash to kill the light and fool the system into thinking everything is okay, or do nothing. I'd prefer to replace what is faulty and do it properly.

So, what do you reckon? Anything else I should test before buying a new cylinder?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made a bypass module (different from the ones used for remote starts, thats like the resistor mod) because if someone is stealing your fbody, VATS isnt gonna stop them!

http://newrockies.ca/ is the site i used for instructions (url doesnt seem like it.. but it is)

so there are two ways to do it "properly" a full custom bypass or replacing the cylinder and hoping it wont leave you stranded somewhere again, i chose the first...

Quick Reply: Security light on LS1 Camaro