General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changing out spark plugs... Need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing out spark plugs... Need some advice!

Alright so I have done the driver side before which was alright... still a pain but got it done a while back... I want to change everything again so here is the ultimate question... How can I change out the passenger side spark plugs? ive tried all ways even removing the tire... Do I have to drop the K Member?

Its a 96 Z28 by the way.. Thanks guys
Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why'd you remove the tire? There's a write up on installuniversity, some people say remove your coil packs and it makes it easier, didnt really help me. I unbolted my AIR pipe on the passengers side which makes it a little easier, The number 8 plug is a bitch, I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Removing the coil packs makes it 10X easier. Then again, I don't have A/C or AIR to deal with.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember years ago that thing called the "TV Brick"? When you would watch TV and get pissed off at maybe the news, or a bad play watching sports, or maybe someone you didn't like was talking about something on the screen.......you would pick up this "TV Brick" and throw it at the TV.....it was made of soft foam so it didn't hurt the TV of course.

Go get one of those before starting the passengers side, it will keep you from getting pissed off and throwing tools at your car.

Really, the only advice at this point I can offer........when you put the new spark plugs back in...use anti-sieze on the threads and ONLY tighten the plugs hand tight, then a TINY LITTLE snug with the socket. TINY!!!! This is what will make the job 10X easier next time, it will be night and day difference. You're gonna go through HELL this time if its your first time doing it...sorry man.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Launching!

**** man... im screwed and im plumped up in the hands area which makes it a lot worse...

I feel my car sometimes upon hard acceleration it gets rough when going up in RPMs so im not sure why its doing that... I already seafoamed it but no change
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're getting advice on changing plugs on an LS1, you have an LT1.

Can't give you any advice, except that I had a 3rd gen and it was easier to change bank 2 from underneath.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I just did mine today!

Originally Posted by SixShooterCam
Alright so I have done the driver side before which was alright... still a pain but got it done a while back... I want to change everything again so here is the ultimate question... How can I change out the passenger side spark plugs? ive tried all ways even removing the tire... Do I have to drop the K Member?

Its a 96 Z28 by the way.. Thanks guys
OK, IMHO, this is the fastest way to do the pass side (2-4-6-8) plugs on an LT1 F-body:

# 2 (pass front) - From the Top - Remove the alternator, then using two sockets (an SLP shorty spark plug socket with a 3/8 drive 19mm deep socket over the SLP and taped together), by feel, put this two socket ***'y on the #2 spark plug. Then using a 3/8 drive racket and a super short 1" extension (to avoid crashing with the A/C tube) remove the spark plug.

#8 / #6 / #4 (going back to front) - From the Bottom - Remove the driver's side Y-pipe extension and the starter - then attack 8, 6, and 4 using the SLP / 19 mm with the 1" extension for #8 (to avoid crashing with the O2 sensor) and w/o the 1" extension for #6 and #4. BTW - #4 can be done from the top too, but since I was already down there I did it from the bottom as well.

Re-install the starter and the exhaust extension - done.

Is it a pain?

Yes, but unlike the other 2 times I changed my plugs (all 4 from the top - #8 was almost impossible!), this method allowed me to do it w/o cutting my forearms or sounding like a sailor...

Good luck! (I really mean that too!)

P.S. - Once that Y-pipe extension is removed, getting #7 (Driver's rear-most plug) from the bottom is ALOT easier too!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by great421
OK, IMHO, this is the fastest way to do the pass side (2-4-6-8) plugs on an LT1 F-body:

# 2 (pass front) - From the Top - Remove the alternator, then using two sockets (an SLP shorty spark plug socket with a 3/8 drive 19mm deep socket over the SLP and taped together), by feel, put this two socket ***'y on the #2 spark plug. Then using a 3/8 drive racket and a super short 1" extension (to avoid crashing with the A/C tube) remove the spark plug.

#8 / #6 / #4 (going back to front) - From the Bottom - Remove the driver's side Y-pipe extension and the starter - then attack 8, 6, and 4 using the SLP / 19 mm with the 1" extension for #8 (to avoid crashing with the O2 sensor) and w/o the 1" extension for #6 and #4. BTW - #4 can be done from the top too, but since I was already down there I did it from the bottom as well.

Re-install the starter and the exhaust extension - done.

Is it a pain?

Yes, but unlike the other 2 times I changed my plugs (all 4 from the top - #8 was almost impossible!), this method allowed me to do it w/o cutting my forearms or sounding like a sailor...

Good luck! (I really mean that too!)

P.S. - Once that Y-pipe extension is removed, getting #7 (Driver's rear-most plug) from the bottom is ALOT easier too!

Thank you so much im gonna print this out and attack this sunday... I need to maintain this thing til I drop something else in it either LQ9 or LS3 havent decided yet.. my previous plans got interrupted because of the accident