General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

question about gutting cats/affect of a warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about gutting cats/affect of a warranty

hey guyz. obviously i dont have the TA anymore. and the aftermarket for the 370Z is ridiculously expensive atm. so a few peeps are just going the gutted cat route and netting 14-17 rwhp from it. so i figured hell ill go that route also. not the first car ive done it on anyhow. but id hate to void alot of my warranty on a brand new car. just just curious.. in general can a tampered/gutted/removed/highflow cat void the drivetrain/engine warranty? i know its kinda up to the dealers and all but say like i had some kind of transmission problem in the future or engine trouble. would they try to use that against me?

im thinking just maybe the exhaust portion and such. and ive asked a few guys over in Z land but cant get any good answers.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't gut them..the metals they use in oem cats are VERY expensive..Just get some cat delete pipes/test pipes made for around $50-75 and save/sell your oem ones..IMHO!!
-I personally like cats..keeps fuel odors down, and helps with noise/drone...
Old 05-02-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
I wouldn't gut them..the metals they use in oem cats are VERY expensive..Just get some cat delete pipes/test pipes made for around $50-75 and save/sell your oem ones..IMHO!!
-I personally like cats..keeps fuel odors down, and helps with noise/drone...
problem is there isnt any place local here that will mess with the cats. and the actual company that make test pipes for the Z cost 300 dollars. and i know the materials in them are expensive. platinum is one of the main things in a cat. maybe ill try to talk one of these local guys into doing it for an extra bit of cash lol.

anyhow id still like to know what a dealer would try to claim a modified cat in any form would do to affect the major components in the warranty.

well i finally found a threat on this after 4598734957 pages. seems liek the dealers could void the entire warranty. seems really lame but ohwell guess ill go with the test pipes so i can always just bolt back the catz

Last edited by GXPPOWER; 05-02-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Times are tough all around so dealers are more apt to look for ways to not perform warranty repairs. Anyone with a nose will smell around for gutted cats once they hear your car doesn't sound like the other 50 370s on the lot. Then they'll say you screwed up your own car and voided the warranty. Probably even if your windshiled wipers and due to be changed.

However, what you could do is just get a seperate set of pipes put on there and change them whenever you want to get the car looked at by someone official. California is gay like that. Just make sure you keep the old ones if you ever need to take your car in or get it emissions tested.