General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas meter broken/stupid

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Gas meter broken/stupid

My gas meter is going all over the charts, it goes full, empty, middle and anywhere in between. It does all sorts of crap while driving, i can just sit there and watch it go from a full tank to empty and back to full. I wish I had that much of a lead foot and that much money to blow to make it do so but it looks like it's broken. So how do I get the little guy to stop reading crazy stuff?

Last edited by HumanNipple; 03-11-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably just a bad sending unit...find posts about pump r2 and you'll find how to cut a trap door and replace that sucker...might want to upgrade the pump while your in there.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:02 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Couldn't hurt to check the wiring from the pump either-make sure everything's in order.

I vote against the trap-door if you end up having to replace the pump. Now, I actually did the trap-door thing on my 'Z but I regret doing so; I wish I had just dropped everything instead...
Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try tapping on the "glass real hard when your below a half tank and see if it jumps up. The 98-99's had a problem with the soldering on the circuit board for the fuel indicator. Both my 99's did it. I would bet money its your guage.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Try tapping on the "glass real hard when your below a half tank and see if it jumps up. The 98-99's had a problem with the soldering on the circuit board for the fuel indicator. Both my 99's did it. I would bet money its your guage.
i haven't done that yet but the meter does tend to jump up to full when it's sitting at empty and I hit the gas.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I vote bad sending unit. My father-in-law's Silverado has been doing that for 4+ years. He doesn't want to replace the fuel pump until it fails.

Another problem sign of the fuel pump would be the check valve. It is supposed to keep pressure in the system, how is this working for you? If you let it sit for hours, say overnight, and in the morning, you turn the key on and immediately crank. Do it starve or start right up? Not that this has connections to the sending unit, just another issue I have seen with these fuel pumps.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car starts immediately and makes my 4 cyl friends jealous
Old 05-10-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, just trying to see if there was another excuse to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. I still vote for bad sending unit!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your problem is probably due to a build up of sulfur on your resistance element on your fuel sending unit in your tank. Over the years a film develops over the contacts that send the electrical signal to your cluster and therefore the output signal becomes wrong.

I have done this to many GM vehicles. Remove your fuel pump assembly from your tank and clean off the contacts on the fuel sending unit. It will be as good as new again. That is, unless you do have an actual problem with your unit. All of the ones I have looked at - from fbodies to grand prixs to full size trucks to trailblazers - have been dirty sending unit contacts.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone have a lil write up on how to mess with the sending unit?
Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you try tapping on the cluster when below half a tank? Tap it hard, with your knuckle! I know it sounds crazy but it's an easy component to eliminate! If you were closer i would drive over and lend you my extra cluster just to check it out. I would bet $ that's where your problem is!!! Hell i have a couple of new clusters in my attic because both my 99's did the same thing...
Old 05-18-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this problem. It was the sending unit.

The little metal ''sensors'' had been worn completely off and were no longer making good contact with the ''sensors''. Install a new one with new sensors and all is good. (metal part makes contact with the sensor and swings back and forth like a pendelum).

Quick Reply: Gas meter broken/stupid