General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window motor or window switch??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window motor or window switch??

I know about our window motor problems but I wanna make sure that my problem is not the switch. I have a 2000 formula with 62000 miles on it and I had a window switch issue a few years back. Now just like the last time my window is acting up except it's the driver side instead of passenger. It's intermittent and sometimes it will work with out a problem but as of lately it will only go half way down and stop. If I wait a min or 2 it will go down a lil more and it seems like the longer I wait the further it will go. Any opinions or previous experience like this? Let me know cause I'm thinking motor is going
out but like last time it was my switch so I'm undecided.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

99.9% chance its your motor. Classic failure of the thermal cutoff inside the motor unit.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well at 99.9% I guess the switch being the problem just is not the case this time. I can deal with the motor no problem just gotta find the money first to buy one... Thanks wssix for helping out with my situation. I'll repost back when I fix the problem just to make the next few window guys know what the problem was.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
99.9% chance its your motor. Classic failure of the thermal cutoff inside the motor unit.
Yes, but there is a reason for this. The regulator is probably a piece of **** too (which is the binding that causes the motor to cut out).

OP, replace the regulator and motor with the correct rivets and you'll be golden.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
The regulator is probably a piece of **** too
I don't think a lot of other people do this - but when I have my doors apart, I use Syl-Glyde (NAPA sells it) and lube my regulator channels. This grease matches the stuff from the factory and won't gum things up, like will happen if you mix greases. Keeping the tracks lubed will definitely help take stress off the motor and will do more than new regulator rollers.