Service Engine Soon Light is on - LS1TECH

Log In 


General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Service Engine Soon Light is on

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
2000TransWS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
Question Service Engine Soon Light is on

My Service Engine Soon Light just came on. I've checked all of my fluids and they are fine. What could the problem be?
2000TransWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Staging Lane
 
wisker27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ankeny,iowa
Posts: 62
Default

Anything can cause it, go to Auto Zone or Oreilly's part store and have them hook a Code Reader up to it, it will tell you exactely what caused it, and it's free!!!
wisker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,400
Default

Don't let them sell you anything, post the code(s) here first. Don't worry about the description.
2001NBMZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (4)
 
98TAjwh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 625
Default

rear O2s for sure
98TAjwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Teching In
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TAjwh View Post
rear O2s for sure
Sorry to thread hijack, but is that a common problem? It's what my problem is, P0420, but I really haven't noticed anything wrong with how it's running at all.
HarrisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TransWS6 View Post
My Service Engine Soon Light just came on. I've checked all of my fluids and they are fine. What could the problem be?
Did you check your tire pressure?


.
LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
TECH Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonH View Post
Sorry to thread hijack, but is that a common problem? It's what my problem is, P0420, but I really haven't noticed anything wrong with how it's running at all.
P0420 is most likely a bad drivers side cat - GM extended the cat warranty on the 00-02 LS1 F cars to 10yrs/120K.
2001NBMZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
eseibel67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 1,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
Did you check your tire pressure?


.
Hey man, give this guy a break. Even though checking fluids is definitely funny, we all started somewhere.

If he gets the codes he can be advised on the next step.
eseibel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Staging Lane
 
wisker27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ankeny,iowa
Posts: 62
Default

Im sure theres one already on the forums, but here is a PDF of all the DTC Codes
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DTC CODES.pdf (33.5 KB, 2136 views)
wisker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseibel67 View Post
Hey man, give this guy a break. Even though checking fluids is definitely funny, we all started somewhere.

If he gets the codes he can be advised on the next step.
Some that posted before me totally told him what he needed to do....get a scan.

I was just kidding with him.............

.
LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (4)
 
98TAjwh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonH View Post
Sorry to thread hijack, but is that a common problem? It's what my problem is, P0420, but I really haven't noticed anything wrong with how it's running at all.
i guess it is a common problem. the 420 code is the rear O2, i think driver side. but i see a lot of threads come up where people have this code. just get the rear O2s tuned out and forget about it.

/end thread hijack
98TAjwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
2000TransWS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
Default

Haha, I didnt know what was wrong...I'm still use to having old motors and not these LS1's....I just checked everything that i could think of that had anything to do with the engine, but my tire pressure is all good lol....but I takes jokes pretty good...I had to go to a dealership and they scanned it for me. it was an O2 sensor that was out. The guy said something about the front O2 sensor on the passenger side, nothing about the rear O2 sensor? Ive just seen the one thats on my headers, where would the "front" one be? I dont know if having an EGR delete makes any difference or not.
2000TransWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Teching In
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
P0420 is most likely a bad drivers side cat - GM extended the cat warranty on the 00-02 LS1 F cars to 10yrs/120K.
Eh, mine's not an LS1, it's got a V6. Oh well.
HarrisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (4)
 
98TAjwh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TransWS6 View Post
Haha, I didnt know what was wrong...I'm still use to having old motors and not these LS1's....I just checked everything that i could think of that had anything to do with the engine, but my tire pressure is all good lol....but I takes jokes pretty good...I had to go to a dealership and they scanned it for me. it was an O2 sensor that was out. The guy said something about the front O2 sensor on the passenger side, nothing about the rear O2 sensor? Ive just seen the one thats on my headers, where would the "front" one be? I dont know if having an EGR delete makes any difference or not.
your front O2s are before the cat, rears are behind the cat. just follow the exhaust, you'll find em
98TAjwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service engine light maroonls1z PCM Diagnostics & Tuning 3 04-25-2015 05:01 PM
Service Engine Soon light Xx01CamaroZ28xX General Maintenance & Repairs 18 08-08-2013 04:50 PM
What does code P0430 mean? SexyWS6Mama General Maintenance & Repairs 7 01-20-2010 01:30 PM
99 T/a Check Engine Light Resest IMOTEPHT General Maintenance & Repairs 5 10-09-2007 04:55 PM
My service engine soon light is blinking/car is sluggish etc... ?? Donohue96M6Z28 Texas Members 34 05-07-2007 06:33 PM


Tags
01, 2000, cam, cat, change, common, engine, jokes, light, lights, ls1, ls1tech, service, soo, trans, warranty, ws6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.